LaunchBox Community Forums

Closing emulators freezes Bigbox

Shinzo

Dear Launchbox team,

Today i got myself a year sub to test out Bigbox. Looks great! and easy to setup for the roms/art/movie's.
But the biggest problem that i got is getting out of the games when playing. I did setup the controler automation in BB and in LB. But when i close my game in BB. My BB wil freez and i have to ctrl alt del and close bigbox to get out.

I did some testing:

- BB only feezes when closed by an controler if i press escape BB will continue to run
- LB does work with the automation controler BB does not
- Did try to change the contoler type and turn on/off all controlers no luck..
- Did try to change an other butten, again no luck

I did the tests with an wired xbox 360 controller with the Snes and the sega Genesis emulators. Using 7.7 LB

Hope someone can help me fix this issue.

Hi Shinzo, I believe this may be a new issue with one of the previous releases. There have been a couple of posts in the past few days in regard to this or similar problem. My automation works, but not for closing applications. My own workaround was to utilize Controller Companion which I detailed out to another user in the link below. 

With that being said, I'm willing to bet a problem ticket has been opened for this issue, so please don't feel as if you need to go drop 3 bucks and add more software to fix your issue. So consider this an option, else perhaps someone more in the know on this particular issue will chime in. If you do opt to go my route, feel free to chime in and I can help you set it up, it's as easy as it would be in BigBox really and adds some additional functionality to your controller in the long run.

• Like 1

I think it might not be freezing. I think it might be losing focus. Next time, try just clicking the screen with your mouse and see if bigbox doesn't work with the controller as usual. It's probably a bug in the new release, as this just started for me recently, and only on specific emulators at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Controller automation (including closing) is working fine for me. Keep in mind that it just doesn't work with certain emulators. MAME, for example, doesn't accept it because it doesn't accept simulated keyboard inputs. With MAME, however, you can actually accomplish the same thing as controller automation's close function by opening the tab menu, going to "Input (general)" -> "User Interface" -> and then going to "UI Cancel" and entering your combination of buttons that you want to use to exit.

CCS64 is the emulator that I use for C64 emulation and controller automation's close function doesn't work with it.

One option in such a scenario is to go to the relevant emulator entry in LB, going to the AutoHotkey tab, and entering the following:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

Controller automation's close function will work at that point, though keep in mind that by doing this you're force-closing the emulator, so if it saves settings on exit, they won't be saved.

As to the crashing/hanging issue... that's a question for @Jason Carr. I'm not sure what would be causing that.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I'll look into the contoller companion. I used xpadder for hyperspin. But found that to buggy. Thanks for the tip! 

It realy does freez my bb can't use my mouse or keybord. Just ctrl alt del works

Zombeaver thanks for the info. I haven't added mame yet but will soon. That info sould help alot! Didn't know you could do that inside mame.