LaunchBox Community Forums

Project64 1.7 ?

imdavid555

It was kind of a disaster. It was free, sort of, you had to donate, then you got a download link... but it was still free...? It was dumb, and it lasted for a while. Then suddenly 2.0 came out instead, and now they have 2.1 or 2.2 (can't remember which exactly). If I recall, it changed some things, but it never really improved too much. The latest version now is fairly decent considering N64.

Yea, it was an awkward time in that emulators history. As far as I can tell, it's very murky over there in terms of history and who's running the show. If I recall, and I could be wrong, some higher ups changed regarding the emulator and that's why things suddenly changed. Either way, 2.3 is much better than 1.7, and GLupen is shaping up nicely. N64 is finally starting to progress after a long time of almost nothing.

Brad, don't you have a video explaining how to strip questionably associated ware from 2.x versions of Project64? I might have to try tracking that down again. It would be nice to see if I can get Pilotwings working without blacking out textures. And possibly that-other-game-that-doesn't-work-that-I-forgot.

The 2.3 installer is clean of ad-ware and shit but there is a nag screen if you use the emulator enough times using it's built in UI. Using it through Launchbox won't give you the nag screen at all but if you want to make sure you never see it go into the \Config folder and open the Project64.cfg file in notepad and set Run Count=-1

[Support Project64]
Run Count=-1

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

Brad, don't you have a video explaining how to strip questionably associated ware from 2.x versions of Project64? I might have to try tracking that down again. It would be nice to see if I can get Pilotwings working without blacking out textures. And possibly that-other-game-that-doesn't-work-that-I-forgot.

Glupen plays Pilotwings without the black box under yout glider... ;)

Hmm, I gathered from what you said that switching explicitly to Glide64 might fix some of those graphical artifacts, but Pilotwings still has the same 3D blanking issue unfortunately. No worries. Someday we'll have a mature Vulkan emulator doing proper trilateral filtering (I think that was one of the major issues with N64 emulation IIRC).