LaunchBox Community Forums

couple of questions from a Noob

cincypete

I understand the part about having parent roms and orphans.  My question is how do I go about launching the correct one.  Example.  I have Dig Dug, Dig Dug Rev1, and Dig Dug Rev2.  I am told that I have to have Rev2 to play the game but I still doesnt work.  I am using the same romset as my mame .164  Do i have to put them all within a single zip?  Also, I set my controls up in Retro Arch for Atari 2600 using a iPac joystick.  the joystick uses the numberpad as its keybinds.  After i bind the keys the joystick doesnt work but the usb keyboard i have attached still works with the number pad.  any way to get RA to use the ipac controller instead of the usb keyboard?   thanks guy, love the site

I have zero experience with the iPac so unfortunately I won't be able to help you with that.

I can help you with your roms though. If you have a full Mame rom set to load a specific version of a game all you need to do is point LB at the rom version you want to load. If you have all the required parent roms in the same folder as your Mame roms. Basically you should keep all your Mame roms in a single folder (you can split them up but that's more advanced). Tell Mame where your roms are using the UI or in the mame.ini file if you are not storing them in the \roms\ folder in your Mame install folder. If you are getting missing rom messages you either don't have your rompath set in Mame or you are missing the parent rom.

I hope this makes some sense, this is the sort of stuff that makes sense to me in my head but I am never quite sure how to put it into words for others to understand.

And if you are missing bios, then the best case scenario is to find a MAME .183 split or non-merged rom set (with MAME .183b) as this will have everything you need, then follow what @lordmonkus said about keeping them all in 1 folder. The MAME/roms folder is generally the best as that's where MAME is looking by default. Run the MAME Importer in LaunchBox and it will take care of the rest and import your roms based on your preferences.