LaunchBox Community Forums

REQUEST - Show controller mappings before launching game?

The IVI

7 minutes ago, sirgubster9 said:

Dude! This is amazing!  How do I do this on my end? Did you upload this start up theme on launchbox somewhere? Or do you have the script or whatever that i can cut and paste into the multi picture theme?

I will send it to you once I test a couple more systems. Likely later tonight after a few conferences I have to tend to.

@sirgubster9 @ItchyRobot Here you go. Make sure to read the Image Readme. A copy is in the theme's folder and the Images\Game Controls folder. If you use the Game Controls pause theme it is using that custom image structure and naming. I left some control mapping images in the \Images\Game Controls folder so you can see naming and folder structure just in case. Background images and Original Controller Images (borrowed from Fraeran's themes) I copied from various BigBox themes. I claim no owner ship to any images nor credit for making them.

7 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@sirgubster9 @ItchyRobot Here you go. Make sure to read the Image Readme. A copy is in the theme's folder and the Images\Game Controls folder. If you use the Game Controls pause theme it is using that custom image structure and naming. I left some control mapping images in the \Images\Game Controls folder so you can see naming and folder structure just in case. Background images and Original Controller Images (borrowed from Fraeran's themes) I copied from various BigBox themes. I claim no owner ship to any images nor credit for making them.

Dude your my hero. Cant wait to try this out! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirgubster9 said:

Dude your my hero. Cant wait to try this out! 

LOL. No worries. I like tinkering as I get to try and learn more coding. Still scratching my head on most things. But keeps the brain active. The shutdown screen is just a simple background (same as is used in the Startup) and Exiting text. I usually prefer the exit clean and simple. Let me know if you have any issues or maybe any changes wanted. I will try my best.

23 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Messed around a bit more this morning before work. Had to redo the layout as making the game control images large enough to be best viewed was not working in the original layout. So I tweaked it some. So the top right will show the original controller or the handheld of each system. The bottom middle image will show a game specific control if one exists (such as arcade controls) and if not will show a general platform control (like in consoles). The Game Boy is showing the console specific and Mortal Kombat is showing the game specific. If MK did not have an image for game specific it would show a standard arcade fallback.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.15.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 8.33.02 AM.png

Ps. You dont by any chance have a psd(or whatever a photoshop format is) version of that arcade controller setup by any chance do you?  I downloaded all your files and it had a jpeg version of this arcade controller but not an editable one. 

9 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

LOL. No worries. I like tinkering as I get to try and learn more coding. Still scratching my head on most things. But keeps the brain active. The shutdown screen is just a simple background (same as is used in the Startup) and Exiting text. I usually prefer the exit clean and simple. Let me know if you have any issues or maybe any changes wanted. I will try my best.

I agree. Originally I really liked just having the startup and exit screen just be custom background art and that was it. Really thought some of the artwork was super cool and fun. And i dont like when the screen is overloaded my main theme is the same. So this should be perfect. Thanks. 

42 minutes ago, sirgubster9 said:

Ps. You dont by any chance have a psd(or whatever a photoshop format is) version of that arcade controller setup by any chance do you?  I downloaded all your files and it had a jpeg version of this arcade controller but not an editable one. 

I can send you it later tonight when back at the house. I have it layed out so Buttons 1-6 you can change between several colors and you can easily edit/add text for each button.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I can send you it later tonight when back at the house. I have it layed out so Buttons 1-6 you can change between several colors and you can easily edit/add text for each button.

Well of course you do, because that is exactly what I wanted to do with it!  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

so i just tested it out and the now loading for the start up screen is pretty large on my setup and therefore cut off by the lower middle picture.  Yours seems like it small and doesnt get anywhere close to that lower picture.  Do i need to do something on my end to make that happen, like select or change a font or something?

Also I have your pause theme running on my setup and therefore the game controls image folder already exists, which i thought would work out well, but sadly now its pulling those images for this setup so the top right image is great!!! but the middle lower image is the combined image of both controls used in your pause theme. dont hate it, just thought your setup with the larger image at the bottom of just the one control was super cool and super helpful.  

Can you send a pic? The canvas is built the same as the Pause. Might be a resolution or scaling issue. You can edit the Default.xaml and change the FontSize field. It should be in one if the last lines. Lower from 60 to maybe 40. 

Yeah both Pause and Startup us the same folder and images so it should pull only the images you use. I just kept images in the folder \Images\Game Controls to show how things should be. 

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can you send a pic? The canvas is built the same as the Pause. Might be a resolution or scaling issue. You can edit the Default.xaml and change the FontSize field. It should be in one if the last lines. Lower from 60 to maybe 40. 

Yeah both Pause and Startup us the same folder and images so it should pull only the images you use. I just kept images in the folder \Images\Game Controls to show how things should be. 

oh sweet ok i will try that out, that should be a pretty simple fix.  I was also thinking about using fanart background instead of the background you provided... that should be a simple text edit as well right, just change to that folder?

ok here is photo.  I believe its using your pause theme main fallback system photo.... unless I messed with it which is possible, but in this case I think i just used your setup, except I removed your two xbox style controllers at the bottom and put my joystick controller in.... let me know your thoughts.  

screen shot.jpg

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Multiple Image Controller.zip 40.56 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks man! I just tried it out and it looks great. Definitely a great add-on to my build  ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Thanks man! I just tried it out and it looks great. Definitely a great add-on to my build  ?

Cool. When I was messing with it I needed to move images. First one I did looked too much like your image's layout so had to change it back a bit.

1 hour ago, sirgubster9 said:

oh sweet ok i will try that out, that should be a pretty simple fix. 

Yeah just adjust the font # until you find a good size. I need to learn how to make fonts adjust regardless of resolution/scaling. Guess I can dig in BigBox theme coding an figure it out.

36 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you want to use Fanart in the shutdown you will have to actually replace several lines of codes. I did make a fanart version of the shutdown. Went away from it on the Startup as it was way too busy sometimes.

Here's a fanart shutdown xaml.

Default Shutdown.xaml 3.05 kB · 1 download

Dude seriously you are on it. You are like me the future but you actually know what your doing!  This is awesome and my thought exactly. Startup screen is perfect just like it is. Shutdown needs a little touch of something fun. And some of the fan art stuff is soooo cool and unique. Thanks. 

just figured i would put a bow on this thread.... thanks again so much, so amazing works perfectly, retro808 is da man!! attached is photo of how mine turned out, i love it! just pretend that bottom image is a wayyyyy cooler looking joystick setup that i will work on in the future ha ha.  thanks again.  

all done.jpg

• Like 1