Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
DfknG

A little help with Demul

Recommended Posts

I'm sorry i feel like i've been asking so many questions for help recently, I always believe I do my best to watch YT and read here to solve my issue however.

I'm trying to use Demul with my Arcade system but not having much luck.

I can launch Demul and then open the game fine so the emulator and paths are OK however, when launching from LB it juts launches the Demul console but never loads the game.

58ecece4b5245_demulDetails.thumb.png.f21ccd6f0afa875a723fb6adf31a12ce.png58ecece159795_DemulAssociatedPlatforms.thumb.png.1b3a0e4e28fc64a44f69a021369cf326.png

 

This is all I get when trying to launch from LB58ececddacc36_DemulEmulator.thumb.png.83f1f6a8ec8a0c473324a28c95e51173.png

Can someone please i've me some direction on how to nip this up? :) Many thanks in advance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey you need to uncheck that nulldc checkbox for the arcade system that will however break Dreamcast emulation I usually point LB to Demul twice once named Demul and once named Demul [Arcade] then I have the DC on set up with both checkboxes checked and on with just the use file name checkbox checked.

Edited by DOS76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Hey you need to uncheck that nulldc checkbox for the arcade system that will however break Dreamcast emulation I usually point LB to Demul twice once named Demul and once named Demul [Arcade] then I have the DC on set up with both checkboxes checked and on with just the use file name checkbox checked.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried but still no dice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry I gave you wrong advise its Dreamcast that only uses the one checkbox and the arcade stuff is both sorry about that. The only era I see is atomiswave should be awave but that is it those settings should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I'm so sorry I gave you wrong advise its Dreamcast that only uses the one checkbox and the arcade stuff is both sorry about that. The only era I see is atomiswave should be awave but that is it those settings should work.

Hey no sweat.
I re-enabled that but still the same, im kinda using a different setup and trying to migrate across so I thought maybe the Demul I had might have had some conflicting config but nah, even with a vanilla install of Demul it still does it.

Ah ok, I changed the Atomiswave due to another post I read but, i'm having this issue on any system with Demul so Noami, Hikaru and Atomiswave.

Any other suggestions? Would a screen recording help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

A screenshot of the demul plugins screen might help.

thanks for such a quick reply

58f42e49bef44_demulplugins.thumb.png.c62ec0a20b30a93aca420e28a2e84c83.pngI tried all variations of the GD-Rom plugin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping I'd see that and the answer would jump out at me. xD I'm actually lost too. The roms and bioses path is set to where your mame roms are located, right? And if it is, I see it's the LB folder, did you have LB move your Arcade roms to that location? If so, did you move the rest of them that were left behind? Are you using a split or non-merged rom set? Split is believe would still be broken for demul, so you'd most likely need to use a non-merged or make sure the bios yo have are set up properly. MAME changed some stuff up, and emulators like demul still haven't caught up as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

I was hoping I'd see that and the answer would jump out at me. xD I'm actually lost too. The roms and bioses path is set to where your mame roms are located, right? And if it is, I see it's the LB folder, did you have LB move your Arcade roms to that location? If so, did you move the rest of them that were left behind? Are you using a split or non-merged rom set? Split is believe would still be broken for demul, so you'd most likely need to use a non-merged or make sure the bios yo have are set up properly. MAME changed some stuff up, and emulators like demul still haven't caught up as far as I know.

All good I appreciate you taking a look.

Yes roms and bios paths is pointing to where mame roms are, I moved them manually and told TB to keep in current locations.

TBH i'm not sure if i'm using split or merged, i'd say split as this is what they look like

split.png.3666a20c30a1a4703f4aeec7c91f735c.png

However, I can run them if once Demul is open I select the rom which would be the part that confuses me?

manual.thumb.png.9a6ad49033ea927b141dea4411481113.png58f43323ae882_demulrunning.thumb.png.f25cdba758189d40e57b16dcb01ffc3f.png

ItIf thats the case, Ill try find a merged set for the systems i'm having issues with :) seems to be LB has no issues calling demul, but not assocaiting the ROM, I dunno...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hrm Doesn't seem to be the case, I just got a Hikaru pack and all the files are just singular, not split.

This is very frustrating, i'm moving to retroarch for Dreamcast but a lot of the arcade systems are dependent on Demul it'd be great to get this working, or find an alternative that I can get working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to add the "command line parameters" as per Brad's great tutorial video on YouTube. For some reason, your equivalent "edit emulator" box doesn't have an entry. I am only using this for Dreamcast though, and none of the other systems but this works for me for DC. It has done for years on another frontend as well. I love Demul so much more than NullDC.

If you can't get it to work, my advice would be to setup another installation (or as many as you need) of Demul and use those to deal with the Arcade systems. That way, settings won't conflict when trying to run all these disparate systems. I have dabbled with Atomiswave and Cave in the past and found I had to use separate installs of Demul for them (with another frontend). It could be just a case of you have too much going on for just one emulator. Start small ;-)

On 4/12/2017 at 2:52 AM, DfknG said:

I thought maybe the Demul I had might have had some conflicting config but nah, even with a vanilla install of Demul it still does it.

 

 

Nah, you can use as many separate Demul's as you like and they won't conflict. All the settings and configs are kept within their folder.

 

screenshot.2017-04-17.jpg

Edited by JamesBond@ge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

You need to add the "command line parameters" as per Brad's great tutorial video on YouTube. For some reason, your equivalent "edit emulator" box doesn't have an entry. I am only using this for Dreamcast though, and none of the other systems but this works for me for DC. It has done for years on another frontend as well. I love Demul so much more than NullDC.

Thanks for the suggestion, thats quite specific for DreamCast, he did another one for Naomi which I followed to a T but, at this stage i'll try anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DfknG said:

Thanks for the suggestion, thats quite specific for DreamCast, he did another one for Naomi which I followed to a T but, at this stage i'll try anything.

No worries mate. Try my suggestion of setting up a number of different Demul's on your system. You can name each folder something like "Demul 0.7a (Dreamcast)" and "Demul 0.7a (Atomiswave)" etc. They don't conflict with each other as they are self contained.

And then set up each one as a separate emulator in Launchbox for each system. That is the way I would approach it. I'm loathed to use Demul in the same way you would with say, RetroArch. Anyway, just my 2 pennies :-).

Edited by JamesBond@ge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple Associated Platform entries is how I have mine set up. In the Naomi tutorial, that's how mine was set up. So there shouldn't be any issues with doing it this way. I would be leaning towards rom set or BIOS issues, as dumb as that may sound, if all of your settings and preferences are correct, then that's where this leaves us. The most compatible for Demul will be grabbing a non-merged set from a torrent (i.e. "mame dome of pleasure"), MAME .184 non-merged. There were scripts to pull the roms out of a mame rom set, but those haven't been updated either. You can use the script, and then pull out what it didn't, or you can even edit those scripts to add the new games and then run it. Going that route might be the best in the long run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the process of deciding how I want to sort my arcade roms so I been individually adding them one at a time... I happened to just hit a Naomi rom and ran into the same problems as you with Demul. Heres what I did to make it work.

My game was 18 Wheeler, using 18wheels.zip as the set i went into the game in launchbox, then to the Emulation tab, checked the "Use Custom Command-Line Parameters" box, in the box i used the platform command-line + the rom set.

-run=naomi -rom=18wheels (without .zip)

Thats the only way I've found to get the demul games to work for me. Also, I ended up removing the command-line parameters from the associated platforms but I dont know if that matters or not.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That only works because you're telling it the exact game to run. That's why, when you put a command in the basic default command line parameters box, it shows you what the command would like:

dPKlYQH.png

So that should already be achieved, the commands work the same on the Associated Platforms page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I get that, noticed i missed a checkbox on the file extension removal. Gonna reset the platform parameters and try again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it worked for me. noticed screenshot above didn't have the remove file extensions either. that got it working

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so.

 

With everyones input (which I really appreciate btw) I managed to find a reasonable workaround.

What I ended up doing was setting up a new Emulator per system and manually configuring it that way, for whatever reason its just not picking up the info from associated platforms.

Tested and working great! For really minimal effort. Hopefullyu this helps out anyone else that runs into something like this in the future.

58f5b1b49f09c_Demulworkaround.thumb.PNG.2700ee82f2082f8ea077fd1519f0ab1d.PNG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×