LaunchBox Community Forums

My awesome 2 player Bartop

Hello there,

I've recently finished my arcade machine. It's an bartop with two players with al Sanwa buttons. There is an 19" screen in it with an Intel NUC to run bigbox. This machine is done from the beginning and did the woodworking myself.

There are currently thousands of games installed on it for different platforms.

I'm curious what you guys think of it :-).

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, holycrossstud17 said:

Looks Great, MVC is still one of my favorite games.  Nice that you went with wood instead of MDF. I just built the same bartop and am having issues getting the arcade roms working even after watching the tutorials, any suggestions?  is yours working through retroarch or a mame version?

Thanks! I've also got an Dreamcast emulator with MvC2 on it, like that one the most!

What problems do you have with MAME emulation? With what ROM? I'm using official MAME 0.178.

Edited by ndonkersloot

9 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

nice build.   what did you use for your Controller interface? 

I use an I-PAC 2, it's super awesome. You can change profiles from the command line so I've created scripts for certain windows, DOS and dreamcast games. It sets controls upon start and back on close if the game uses a dfferent control scheme.

full.jpg

full.jpg

I built a Arcade controller in 2005 and used an IPAC2 PS/2 i built it as 1 Player (should have gone bigger).   Wiring was fun and I hope you kept yours clean.   

20 Happ  Buttons ( 4 dedicated pinball)

1 Happ  8 way controller / Rotary (Heavy barrel, Ikari Warriors)
1 Happ  4way Controller
Happ Trackball
Tornado Spinner

Playing Arcade Games with a Game Pad is not the same.  

54 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

I built a Arcade controller in 2005 and used an IPAC2 PS/2 i built it as 1 Player (should have gone bigger).   Wiring was fun and I hope you kept yours clean.   

20 Happ  Buttons ( 4 dedicated pinball)

1 Happ  8 way controller / Rotary (Heavy barrel, Ikari Warriors)
1 Happ  4way Controller
Happ Trackball
Tornado Spinner

Playing Arcade Games with a Game Pad is not the same.  

That's one hell of a controller you built! All possible controls are there. I would love a spinner / trackball but can't fit all of those controls on a small control panel for a bartop. It would be way to cramped or looks HUGE so didnt go that way.

I built the control panel so that both players have even free room for the palm too rest just as on a fightstick. Playing with real arcade parts is alot more fun than with a pad or keyboard.

The wiring was fun indeed, most people on the internet say it's a chore but i liked it alot. Finished it pretty fast too. Shortend te cables and taped them to get it clean and organized.

full.jpg

Hi ndonkersloot

Very nice bartop and very neat wiring. I too enjoyed wiring my cab.
I did make things more complicated by placing the iPac between the 2 set of controls and adding rgb leds (a bowl of spaghetti of wiring).

IPac

6a0fa61540a8108fb94d8f50203454b8.jpg

Button RGB leds

7476f8ebd5596ecce41de290a78427e5.jpg

Finished cp

1786f34371be926f318298d57b3d2db6.jpg

I noticed you've run your u360s in output mode by feeding them through the iPac. What benefit have you found with this?

Hi NeoHusky,

Thank you! I use my bartop every day :).

Adding RGB to the buttons certainly makes it more complicated. I screwed the IPAC on the bottom of my cabinet because the side and front buttons are also connected to it.

I'm only using Sanwa parts, the joysticks are Sanwa's jlf-tp-8yt and buttons Sanwa's OBSN-30. I had a Madcatz fightstick before I built my bartop and got used to the control feeling so used the same parts. Do you like your u360's? 

@NJDave

Working coin box is awesome. Must feel and sound good to put coins in it.

Edited by ndonkersloot

The U360s are nice. The ability to dynamically change maps for mame is what drew me to them.

The only difficulty was using them in combination with the iPac on Steam fighters eg ssfIV, SFV. After playing with VJOY and x360ce I've had great results. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Fablog

I don't have U360's in my bartop, I'm using Sanwa jlf-tp-8yt. Neohusky uses U360's.

@laxedout

Thank you! I've configured my ipac with shift functions so when I press the second red button with the coin button it registers as an 'esc' which exit in all emulators.

For Windows games i change the button layout with a script to register alt+f4 with that button combination.

So for whatever game i'm playing: second red button + coin insert = exit.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont play often with 2 players and the game i play the most are the tetris grandmaster series and ms pacman. So i've decides to set the green Sanwa joystick to 4-way :). The blue one is still 8-way so can also play some shmups or fighting games with that.

I like it so far, i was pretty accurate with 8way, but just that one time you do a wrong input and you lose because of it... #@!?@?#!.

Does any one of you guys play with a 4-way joystick and what games do you play with it?

Edited by ndonkersloot