LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega CD and Saturn issue in Retroarch

defiance187

First my games for both systems are in .ccd, .iso, .sub format and compressed in .7z format. Also I have Gens core setup for Sega CD and Mednefen core setup for Saturn. When I set these up many months ago both systems worked fine. Launchbox would uncompress and load games on both systems. Fast forward to yesterday and I tried to play some Saturn and it will start the decompression process then when that was done it would not load the emulator or game. I have unzipped a couple of games and confirmed working in Retroarch Standalone. So, I guess my question is does anyone know what could be causing this to fowl up. This prompted me to check all my disc based systems and found Sega CD the only other one exhibiting this same behavior.All my other disc based systems still work fine and all are compressed. Thanks for reading.

Edited by defiance187

Well I don't know why they worked before but unzipping my saturn games got them working which I find strange considering psx still works while zipped. Sega CD was a bigger issue apparently .ccd support for it is gone for sega cd since I updated retroarch so i have to mount each image and burn to bin cue format to get them working. at least thats my best guess because all of this was tested working before.

Well unfortunately it was a sign of things to come and apparently now any game that is zipped whether nes psx ect have now stopped working. The loading circle happens which makes me think it is unzipping but then nothing happens. the all load fine in retroarch itself. so im at a loss. If any ideas before I start fresh would be appreciated. I don't really want to start over. @DOS76

Edited by defiance187

If the emulator supports archives, you're good to go. Otherwise, you need to check the box when you edit an emulator to unarchive things.

I personally hate archives, and I have nothing like that in them. I still use compression on stuff, just not archival compression. If you're curious about ditching archives but still needing space on some systems:

Not using them is all me though. If you still want to, then go ahead, but for RetroArch you'll need two entries. One for consoles that aren't archived or don't need to be unarchived, and then an entry for games that are archived and need to be extracted.

5 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

If the emulator supports archives, you're good to go. Otherwise, you need to check the box when you edit an emulator to unarchive things.

I personally hate archives, and I have nothing like that in them. I still use compression on stuff, just not archival compression. If you're curious about ditching archives but still needing space on some systems:

Not using them is all me though. If you still want to, then go ahead, but for RetroArch you'll need two entries. One for consoles that aren't archived or don't need to be unarchived, and then an entry for games that are archived and need to be extracted.

Yea I understand how all that works and it is checked and all worked fine before. I actually have a retroarch config for both zipped and unzipped. I did also double check to make sure I had the correct emulator entry associated as well. It seems something has deteriorated or become corrupt. It is getting pretty fustrating not being able to figure it out. I came from rocketlauncher/hyperspin so by comparison launchbox is pretty easy to understand. Is there a way I can install over the top without having to redo all of my systems.

No, updating didn't cause this. I run 1.5 Nightlies just fine. This, if anything, is either an issue with the OS or LaunchBox, since It's not having anything to do with RetroArch. It's not reaching the RetroArch stage. Also yes, if you install LaunchBox on top of your current install you'll lose nothing. Are you on the latest LB Betas or Stable by chance?

@SentaiBradI was on stable but since we last talked I got irritated and scraped the install and have now dedicated myself to trim the fat in my rom collection so I can just use ntfs compression and other tricks such as dreamcast conversion to CHD to fit the important stuff. It's too bad that mednefen in retroarch doesn't support .pbp cuz that would have saved a ton of space not to mention combining multidisc games into one file. I'll have a better install in the end but its a lot of work up front. I'm not willing to give up retroarch for psx though because I like having the shader options and bezel support without using rocketlauncher.

19 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

No, updating didn't cause this. I run 1.5 Nightlies just fine. This, if anything, is either an issue with the OS or LaunchBox, since It's not having anything to do with RetroArch. It's not reaching the RetroArch stage. Also yes, if you install LaunchBox on top of your current install you'll lose nothing. Are you on the latest LB Betas or Stable by chance?