LaunchBox Community Forums

SNES and Bsnes EMulation

dov_EL

I followed the questions about the ability to emulate accurately with bsnes . 

With bsnes_mercury_balanced_libretro.dll work all rom , but Mario Kart not work (with SNES9x core work perfect ) 

Now i do not understand if this core needs a BIOS or not , In that case, the bios where do I find it? I've shot all the WEBs and I do not find it: D

The files were there and I had to remove the link because they are copyright protected rom files.

You do need them when using the bSnes cores and they go in your \Retroarch\system\ folder like bios for other systems.

You can use the Mercury variant of the bSnes cores and in the core options you can have it do the emulation of those chips in HLE so you do not need to have actual dumps of those chips.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

The files were there and I had to remove the link because they are copyright protected rom files.

You do need them when using the bSnes cores and they go in your \Retroarch\system\ folder like bios for other systems.

You can use the Mercury variant of the bSnes cores and in the core options you can have it do the emulation of those chips in HLE so you do not need to have actual dumps of those chips.

Even if I did not understand why SNES9x (core) works it all

Snes9x emulates those chips using HLE. 

The bSnes (non Mercury versions) is based off of what is now known as Higan by the emulator author Byuu and his goal is 100% accuracy and that requires those special chips found in Mario Kart, the MegaMan X series and a couple of other games.

Back before Byuu changed the name of bSnes to Higan he released his source code which gave us the now stand alone and Retroarch core versions of bSnes. Then after some time came the Mercury versions of the bSnes cores which emulate those special chips in HLE instead of LLE which requires those chip dumps.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding of events anyways, it could be wrong in some way but I believe they are close enough.

• Like 2

This is all SNES Core in retroarch 

2017-05-09_18_45_14-_Retro_Arch_Frames_1

now .. All Bsnes (including performance / Mercury), with Cpu Baytrail and Cherrytrail give me audio problems and slowdowns with some games. (No problem with Apollo Lake Cpu ) 

The SNES9x core (normal) seems to work perfectly, I do not know if I can understand what really is the lack of accuracy of this core, I also saw that there are a lot of new options in the core.
So the only way for Cpu Baytrail and Cherrytrail remains SNES 9x?

Use the Snes9x one (the one without a year), that is the most up to date Snes9x core. While it is not quite as accurate as the bSnes Balanced and Accuracy cores it is still very good and you won't see a problem in the vast majority of games. The bSnes Accuracy cores require approx 3 GHz CPUs to use fully, the balanced version is slightly less on the CPU requirement but still up there.

You can see and compare the compatibility lists for each core here https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_SNES_Core_Compatibility

SNES 9x one Yes, it works perfectly. Only now that I have come to the knowledge of the accurances versions like BSNES, I have come to mind (I do not know how to say in English) to use the best emulators for my Bartop. : D

Bsnes Performance should run ok on a weaker system. I'm not sure of it's exact PC requirements, but I would personally rather the Performance cores than anything Snes9x myself, and it should run on a lower end system. There is a reason why Snes9x has stayed sadly, and older hardware is the primary reason. xD Hell, Bsnes is not even available in RetroArch on 3DS and Vita.

Yeah it works in Snes9x.

@SentaiBrad check the compatibility lists.

bsnes Performance

A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol Black lines show up during gameplay.
The shadow below the aircraft is missing.
Funaki Masakatsu Hybrid Wrestler – Tougi Denshou Corrupted graphics on the Pancrase logo screen.
Mecarobot Golf The ground "wobbles" during gameplay.
Mega Man X2 Only displays a black screen.
Mega Man X3 Only displays a black screen.
Mortal Kombat II Various glitched graphics.
NHL ’94 Corrupted line on the NHL logo screen.
Super Pinball - Behind the Mask Black screen after selecting a table. Heavy audio screeching.
Tetris Attack Lots of flickering on the VS. CPU mode map screen.

Those are the games bSnes Performance has problems with.

• Like 1