LaunchBox Community Forums

Major, major Xbox 360 progress!!! XENIA (Almost flawless!)

kerszr

Holy moly are they're really cranking on Xenia. The current game being showcased is a little known game based on the european comic strip of the same name. The game is Asterix at the Olympic Games. From what I'm seeing the game seems to be running almost flawlessly with a few stutters here and there. The most apparent graphical bugs seems to be partical effects (yet I'm not that familar with the original game and how they looked). I have been following Xenia for quite sometime and what normally troubles most of these games are strange lighting glitches or audio beep and farts. Here is the first time i can really recall a game being done right in terms of shadows as well. Please note: one of the reasons this is running so well is partially due to the monolith running this thing. The specs are in the info on the page but I will write it at the bottom. This is a major, major leap forward and very exciting time to be watching the state of emulation. I think it's even kinda newsworthy in my mind @SentaiBrad do you wanna cover this on your next retro spotlight? 

Specs used to perform this emulation:
CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.60 Ghz
RAM - 32 GB DDR4
GPU - GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
OS - Windows 10 64bit
Credit goes to: John Godgames: http://www.godgames-world.com  
I find it best to keep up to date with xenia via the subreddit r/emulation, but also their website: http://xenia.jp/

Edited by kerszr
  • Like 2

Very cool.

I have my eye on Xenia as well. Compared to RCP3 it seems further along, especially when it comes to performance. 

The lead developer goes out of his way to admit that it is a hobby project. I don't know how much value to put in that statement considering he has done so much, in a fairly short time, with what appears to be a rather small team. 

• Like 1

I would certainly use the term "Almost Flawless" with much greater care.

While on the surface certain games will "appear to be running flawless". It may even be many games would appear this way as well but be assured there are many speed hacks and cheats that make it far from "almost flawless" levels.

Even the best emulators out there such as Higan, GenesisGX, Mesen and are not flawless but should be considered "almost flawless". Emulators like ePSXe, Mednafen PSX are very good but still not "almost flawless". Then when you get into emulators such as Mednafen Saturn, PCSX2, PPSSPP and Dolphin are what I would very pretty good but have flaws in their emulation and shouldn't be considered "almost flawless", they use too many hacks to get the speed out of them.

All that said though this is great news and I am glad to see it.

3 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

Very cool.

I have my eye on Xenia as well. Compared to RCP3 it seems further along, especially when it comes to performance. 

The lead developer goes out of his way to admit that it is a hobby project. I don't know how much value to put in that statement considering he has done so much, in a fairly short time, with what appears to be a rather small team. 

Small bits of progress is progress nonetheless... Im glad to see a emulator like this not be put on a shelf like so many others.