LaunchBox Community Forums

XAML help

nosh

First off I would like to thank @Grila @eatkinola and @keltoigael for the themes you guys have put together, everyone really, awesome work! I have learned a lot about XAML just looking through CityHunter, Switch, Epoch09 and BigForce, been a huge help figuring some things out. At this point I am stuck on a few things, more than likely they are either bugs or just not possible right now with the current implementation.

1. Setting a font size for ListBoxItem. I have tried everything in the ListBoxItemStyle.xaml ResourceDictionary. I tried adding a setter for TextBlock.FontSize, TextElement.FontSize and just FontSize, nothing works. I also tried screwing with the ContentPresenter with no luck. On a related note, I also want to set a DropShadowEffect on the text, haven't had any luck on that either yet but have a couple more things to try.

2. Using large images in the CoverFlow control. I have device images that are cut at around 800 x 300 and no matter how I fool with the zindex properties on the control, they show up smaller than they should be and blurry like the control is resizing the image and then scaling it up. See image below. I have a feeling this is a limitation of the CoverFlow control itself. @Jason Carr? I have also noticed that when I first bring up BB or go to another platform view, the original size device image of whatever platform i have selected briefly flashes on the screen, seems to be somewhat sporadic.

Untitled.thumb.png.9838f740f34c503751309f6410fa76e1.png3. I have a Storyboard animation that I use to hide and show elements on my platform views in my theme, it runs for a total of about 3 seconds. During the animation, if I try to switch views nothing happens, have to wait until the animation is done, then switch or I have to hit the switch view key twice quickly in order for it to change. This might be another one for @Jason Carr.

Thats all for now. Thanks in advance!

BTW here is a small taste of what I am working on...

Untitled2.thumb.png.22c464a66482e4835020d71885e88ceb.png

After posting this with a screen of my theme I remembered another one. See the yellow Sega Genesis title, any way to force the text on the TextBlock to uppercase? I tried a few things and didn't get anywhere.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:46 PM, nosh said:

1. Setting a font size for ListBoxItem

If you're referring to the text list such as on the left in the system and options menus, I've also been unable to do this.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:46 PM, nosh said:

ShadowEffect on the text

Used to create a glow effect in a view I'm designing.  This code snippet is as a style but should show you the idea:

<Style x:Key="09TbOP2Glow" TargetType="TextBlock">
    <Setter Property="FontFamily" Value="{DynamicResource 09OP2GlowFontFamily}" />
    <Setter Property="FontWeight" Value="{DynamicResource 09OP2GlowFontWeight}" />
    <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="{DynamicResource 09OP2GlowFontColor}" />
    <Setter Property="Effect">
        <Setter.Value>
            <DropShadowEffect Color="LimeGreen" Opacity="0.99" BlurRadius="3" ShadowDepth="0" />
        </Setter.Value>
    </Setter>
</Style>

You can change parameters of DropShadowEffect to make it more of a drop shadow than a glow.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:51 PM, nosh said:

any way to force the text on the TextBlock to uppercase?

Two ways of which I know: (1) use a font that only has uppercase letters, (2) use a converter which you would probably have to write yourself as code-behind.  You can also try this below, which I just googled:

<Style TargetType="{x:Type TextBox}">
    <Setter Property="CharacterCasing" Value="Upper"/>
</Style>

Nice job with your view.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eatkinola said:

If you're referring to the text list such as on the left in the system and options menus, I've also been unable to do this.

Ya I am pretty sure the text size is being set in code behind, you can style anything else that has to do with text like weight, formatting or effects but not the font size.

You can change parameters of DropShadowEffect to make it more of a drop shadow than a glow.

I ended up figuring this out by doing the same thing, just needed to target the TextBlock.

Two ways of which I know: (1) use a font that only has uppercase letters, (2) use a converter which you would probably have to write yourself as code-behind.  You can also try this below, which I just googled:

I did try your suggestion and another approach and it didn't work. Ya in the short term I might need to write a simple utility method to do this. 

Nice job with your view.

Thank you! Your Epoch theme is great, I really like the urban grungy feel to it, very creative. Most of all I like how you created your own style dictionary to keep things organized in one place, ill be doing this as well.

• Like 1