LaunchBox Community Forums

Games are not found in the Database during import but do manually

Chris Kant

Hi Guys,

still testing LaunchBox and with the plugin system I guess it will make huge steps forward.

Have a question about the Database functionality.

When I import some games into my Launchbox (Premium) (for example Super Nintendo) the system will found a lot games and linked it to the database ones - great. after all, I go through my imported games in LaunchBox to check everything by hand if the game wasn't found. Most of the time it is a different spelling or the "the" wasn't placed or so, fine... clear.

but sometimes I only go to edit game, then press search Metadata ("nach metadaten suchen") and the game was directly found without editing the name filed. it is curious and I have not found out why. I should found that game during the import process as well... I had this at least 100 times and I not completed the import yet for all my systems.

591ffdde585e3_Bildschirmfoto2017-05-20um10_26_15.thumb.png.2531948093edc98ef311fe48b22402e1.pngis there also a fast way to look if there is the game found in database than the great tool "readlaunchbox", so that I only can. rename it fast and press search again instead of going through all games step by step

regards,

Chris 

The first import is generally very strict to prevent games from being misidentified, but sometimes it works too good, and sometimes some still get through. It's a hard balance to walk. With alternate name submissions picking up, I'm hoping Jason finally gets that field scanning in LaunchBox, it would help a ton. In the mean time, if you find any games that are in the database and the name of the game is exactly the same, but it wasn't attached to the Database, would you let me know? I need a few examples to be able to give @Jason Carr and @Vlansix.

I'm not exactly sure what your second question is, I presume a language barrier. The easiest way to be able to do that would be through the Audit system, but unfortunately you can't edit fields directly in there, at least yet. I'm not sure if that's on the road map for the Audit feature for @Jason Carr, but knowing him it is. The workaround combines the same edit menu and the Audit menu. So click on a platform you'd like to edit on the left, then go to Tools -> Audit <Insert System Name>. You can then sort the games by several fields, including if the game has a LaunchBox Games Database ID attached to it. Sort it by that, and you can right click the games in here and check them out.

Going to the edit field is really the only way to check so you can hit the Search Database button, so I think a Next and Previous button in the edit box would be very helpful in that situation. If you happen to have opened it while in the Audit view, it behaves to how you have it sorted, otherwise it behaves to how you have your library sorted. This is more me hoping features making it in, but otherwise I hope Audit at least helps you out a bit.

If I am not making much sense, or you need some help in German, then maybe @CriticalCid can help me out and tell you in German. xD

• Like 1

Going to the edit field is really the only way to check so you can hit the Search Database button, so I think a Next and Previous button in the edit box would be very helpful in that situation. If you happen to have opened it while in the Audit view, it behaves to how you have it sorted, otherwise it behaves to how you have your library sorted. This is more me hoping features making it in, but otherwise I hope Audit at least helps you out a bit.

If I am not making much sense, or you need some help in German, then maybe @CriticalCid can help me out and tell you in German. [emoji23]

Great. The next and previous buttons would be perfect to go through the list faster than now

That's what the alternate field is for. In my first post, when I referenced the Alternate Name field, Pokemon is what comes to mind first. The feature exists, Jason just needs to implement it in to LaunchBox still. So the ideal situation is the regular and special e variation, then two variations for each language the game is in. When LaunchBox can read all those fields, it can then assign the proper metadata. @Vlansix is our Database guy, and is going to be making many more improvements. The fields being read by LaunchBox is for @Jason Carr to still get implemented.

• Like 1

Hiya @Chris Kant,

So, I'm actually looking deeper into this and I've noticed that the above actually isn't a game we have in the database, hence you wouldn't actually be able to link it to an ID, so you're probably pulling your data from wikipedia when you go through them a second time. 

There's the option of doing so during import (look for the checkbox on your next import!), otherwise you could also add the game to the database to make it easier for you (and other users! :) ) on future imports! 

Edit: Brad has better words than I do. 

So something I noticed when talking about this issue with @Vlansix, I can't explain the other games that weren't properly found and had a database entry, but I can explain this one. So first, you have the platform "Nintendo Famicom". As far as I can remember, that platform isn't being worked on too much by the community. The NES platform, for sure, but the Famicom specific platform still needs to be merged, and they probably don't work on it too much. Did you ever manually search the Database to double check? Because the game doesn't come up in manual search either. In the other cases where the games were not imported properly, but were searched for afterwards, did you use the Wikipedia source? When you search for it, it will search the LBGDB and Wikipedia, and show you any results it finds. Obviously Wikipedia is extremely inaccurate, but we are curious if that could be why it's found when you search for it in the edit field. It's a concern if the game does exist on our Database, your name is exactly correct, and it wasn't found during the import but found afterward on the database. If it was found afterward from Wikipedia, then all that means is that the community needs to add the games. Again though, Famicom specifically (and Japanese games as a whole), are lacking because not as many people are working on them.