LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Romset Questions

angelobodetti

Hi All,

I have a full MAME 173 romset up and running. I've had it well over a year and all is good. 

My questions are around if I should upgrade. 

- What are the benefits to upgrading? New games working that didn't in previous sets?

- I know a little while ago they made changes to non merged and merged? Does that have any impact on anything other than set size?

- If I did go get myself a new romset, could I drag the new one over my old one and replace the files? Or should I delete old set entirely?

- Would I need to delete arcade from Launchbox and reimport the new set or since file names are the same (I think), I can just leave it (as long as folder names and paths are the same). 

Ang help is appreciated!

I think you should upgrade, but that's just me. A lot of things changed actually. In that time, quite a few games were added or changed and things generally made better. Key file related stuff also changed as well if I remember correctly. So, after .181 non-merged was introduced. Split saw quite a few new changes as well. There were several name changes. Split stopped working reliably for me, but for others it kept working. Non-merged is like merged, but has all the files of split, so it's the most compatible version, but the biggest. I generally just go for non-merged and chd, call it a day.

For your library, I think re-importing would be best just in case. If you delete the library (make sure to keep note of favorites), and re-import while using the Uncheck All buttons to uncheck all of the media boxes, it should import much faster and all of the old media will reattach. You'll want to run an update on all the games afterwards if you have any newly added games as it wont download any media on import.

Realistically, if you're content and you have no reason to upgrade, then you don't really have to. I like upgrading every time or every other time myself.

Yeah i would delete the arcade platform and delete the arcade playlists, i would also after check the data/playlist folder and bin any if they are still there. All the playlist will be remade when you import your new set, as long as that box is checked at import. You will possibly also have some extra games in those playlists when you re-import as you will be using a newer set that aren't in your playlists currently, so best to clear everything out before the new import.

• Like 1

People are free to ask what ever questions they want here regardless of their level of knowledge. If you are going to post a condescending post like that then at least link the information he can use to obtain this knowledge

• Like 2

I did with my first line in the post. He still needs to do some reading. Whole books are written about MAME.

Here is some more info: MESS is the part of MAME that emulates consoles, handhelds and computers. So software lists are the pieces of software (tape and disk rips etc.) that can be loaded by MAME directly choosing from a list depending on the machine emulated.

Actually MAME can even use software not yet in software lists, but you need to manually command it to mount the software and run it.

Edited by NLS