LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch 1.6.0 – Released!

dov_EL

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-6-0-released/

Windows version improvements

Windows users now can use the WASAPI audio driver for the first time, which should allow for lower-latency audio. And if that isn’t enough, there is another successfully completed bounty, a RawInput input driver, which should allow for lower-latency low-level input.

Vulkan renderer

The Vulkan renderer has received some improvements. It should now support Unicode font rendering and render certain accented French characters correctly.

Localization

There have been several localization improvements. The German and Japanese translations have been updated, and Korean text should finally display properly.

Audio mixer

Now here is a real standout feature we are excited to tell you about! RetroArch now has a built-in audio mixer which allows you to mix up to 8 separate audio streams and splice them together with the game’s audio. To put it more simply, this means custom soundtrack support from inside RetroArch!

Currently, there are a couple of limitations here –

1 – The only supported audio files so far are Ogg Vorbis files (.ogg) and regular Wave files (.wav). Over time, there will be more audio codecs supported.

2 – The audio mixer tracks will only play when the game is running. They will not play while inside the menu, unless you turn off ‘Pause when menu activated’ (Settings -> User Interface -> Menu).

3 – You can only mix up to 8 simultaneous audio streams so far. Looping is not yet available, neither is pausing an audio stream or changing a stream’s volume. All of these might be added in later versions of RetroArch though.

• Like 1

Cool.

I know this is not scientific by any means but I just did a manual input lag test using the 240p test suite genesis rom and the new raw input driver and all I can say is wow. Like I said, I know it's not scientific but I have never gotten a score that low ever. The best I had ever gotten was around 5 milliseconds.240p-MD-Genesis-1.14-170601-013815.thumb.png.a89602273311f9b371d514f338d3ad5e.png

• Like 4

From Libretro tweet 

Stay tuned for our first official unveiling of the Dolphin libretro core in the upcoming days, as well as releases of OpenLara, PX-68K, Neko Project II, Redream and other new cores! There will also be a survey/poll which will let you decide which cores we are going to port next!

:)

• Like 1

You can try the wasapi audio driver but it's something I had no luck with. It sounded awful and I had the same issue with it in Higan. Not sure what it is about it but it might be an extremely high CPU requirement. Mine is an AMD 8350 while is not exactly high end, it's not exactly trash either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

You can try the wasapi audio driver but it's something I had no luck with. It sounded awful and I had the same issue with it in Higan. Not sure what it is about it but it might be an extremely high CPU requirement. Mine is an AMD 8350 while is not exactly high end, it's not exactly trash either.

Thank you for info :)

Taking advantage of the thread of this last update, I take the opportunity to ask a question: Currently I have version 1.3.6, how do I upgrade to 1.6.0 without losing my configuration ?. I would like to update, keeping the controls of my arcade stick, video preferences, filters ... Thanks and salu2

Wasapi and raw input are working great for me so far. I am not particularly sensitive to input lag myself, but I did notice that everything felt sharp and snappy. I played some mega man 2 and ninja gaiden... my timing felt a little bit off actually. I think I am used to compensating for more input lag. 

I turned off Vsync in retroarch and instead enabled "fast" vsync mode in my video drivers. This mode will generate as many frames as the system can handle, and then throw out the extra frames so you get 60. This has less lag than regular vsync. That seemed to help just a little bit too. 

All this peeked my interest, so I went looking online and found this article talking about the effects of shaders on input lag:

http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2015/06/latency-testing.html

I disabled all shaders and bilinear filtering,  and made sure to set fullscreen mode on, for exclusive fullscreen.  When I did this I noticed that the scrolling on my NES games and the animations looked choppier... not sure if that is because the other settings had the effect of smoothing things out before, of if I have inadvertently introduced some sort of frame lag. Input lag though was noticeably improved, even for someone like me who doesn't always notice those kind of things. I have a hard time enjoying my games without my shaders... on the other hand I am really enjoying how responsive everything is. Not sure what I'll settle on as my permanent setup.  

I do know that I will be using retroarch for pretty much all my games from now on. The raw input driver and the hard GPU sync are such a boon to me. Now that I have experienced it, I am reluctant to ever give it up. 

Retroarch 1.6 comes highly recommended :x

2 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

When I did this I noticed that the scrolling on my NES games and the animations looked choppier

Not sure if this is the same thing I noticed in my setup using G-Sync or not but I found I had to go into my config and set the refresh rate to match my monitor.

4 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

I have a hard time enjoying my games without my shaders

Try a shader that is only a single pass. I don't know what sort effect you like with shaders but I like CRT scanlines and I use the CRT-Aperture one and it is single pass and as far as I can tell it has little to no added lag. If there is some added it is so minuscule that I do not notice it at all and you would need a scientific way of measuring it to know if there is any.