LaunchBox Community Forums

Switching from Hyperspin

elements604

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a got a few systems setup in big box and really liking the features so far. I am however feeling like the process of switching things over from hyperspin could be better? Either that or I am doing something wrong.

There are 3 major issues I am running into and I am kind of regretting purchasing big box until they are solved.

1) I have about 70 wheels with hyperspin, each setup through rocket launcher. I noticed when I want to import through launch box, I can only import one wheel at a time, and the process can take quite a while (even though I am only using my own media) Why is there no queue system in place?

2)  I can't seem to use my xml files from hyperspin, which means I have a bunch of garbage in the mame wheel, as well as other wheels where I have more roms than I want listed in their folders(or I don;t have the roms in their original folders because I am using rocket launcher to point to other folders) . I already went through the hassle of creating custom lists in hyperspin, it would be nice to be able to easily import a list ( I know launch box does things different but there must be an easier way?)

3) I cant find an easy way to hide roms that don't have media associated with them in big box. Do I have to manually exclude each game? 

Any guidance or help would be appreciated : )

Unfortunately I won't be able to help you too much since I am not a RocketLauncher user myself but we do have some users of it that hopefully pop in with answers for you in those areas. I will try and answer what I can though.

1) During the import process you can Launchbox to not import any media since you have your own, you can simply tell Launchbox where each media type is located on your system using the Manage Platforms window. Double click a platform in that window and then go to the folders tab and set each location. Sorry there is no quicker way than one by one :(

2) No you cannot use your XML files, Launchbox does things a little differently. Launchbox does have the nice newish feature of playlists though which you can generate custom wheels much easier than the old Hyperspin method. I know that's not a good answer for you but it is the best I got.

3) Use the audit tool in the Tools menu when you have a platform selected. It will show you a whoel table of your games. Sort your games by Images and you will have all the games with and without images grouped. Click and drag your mouse to select all your games with no images and then right click and set them to hidden. Again I know it's not the answer you want since you ask for automatic hiding.

Much love for RL and Hyperspin, but you're using an entirely new piece of software now. You're going to have to set it up. There is the lightspeed mame importer, a third party tool for mame, and also launchbox can help you filter out your mame list. There is another option. If you want the exact lists you have in hyperspin, you only have to import those games into launchbox. There are programs that will allow you to move roms out of folders based on an xml, in your case hyperspin. So you can move all unwanted roms out and then import what's left. If you've audited against a hyperspin xml, and you have a perfect set importing that into lb will get you a similar xml but with more information. The rest might be easier to tackle on a case by case basis. I use hyperspin and RL so feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Unfortunately I won't be able to help you too much since I am not a RocketLauncher user myself but we do have some users of it that hopefully pop in with answers for you in those areas. I will try and answer what I can though.

1) During the import process you can Launchbox to not import any media since you have your own, you can simply tell Launchbox where each media type is located on your system using the Manage Platforms window. Double click a platform in that window and then go to the folders tab and set each location. Sorry there is no quicker way than one by one :(

2) No you cannot use your XML files, Launchbox does things a little differently. Launchbox does have the nice newish feature of playlists though which you can generate custom wheels much easier than the old Hyperspin method. I know that's not a good answer for you but it is the best I got.

3) Use the audit tool in the Tools menu when you have a platform selected. It will show you a whoel table of your games. Sort your games by Images and you will have all the games with and without images grouped. Click and drag your mouse to select all your games with no images and then right click and set them to hidden. Again I know it's not the answer you want since you ask for automatic hiding.

Thank you for the response,  The audit tool works great.  I will have to just figure out the rest.

57 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Much love for RL and Hyperspin, but you're using an entirely new piece of software now. You're going to have to set it up. There is the lightspeed mame importer, a third party tool for mame, and also launchbox can help you filter out your mame list. There is another option. If you want the exact lists you have in hyperspin, you only have to import those games into launchbox. There are programs that will allow you to move roms out of folders based on an xml, in your case hyperspin. So you can move all unwanted roms out and then import what's left. If you've audited against a hyperspin xml, and you have a perfect set importing that into lb will get you a similar xml but with more information. The rest might be easier to tackle on a case by case basis. I use hyperspin and RL so feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Do you know what the tool is called that lets you move the roms to a folder based on the xml?