LaunchBox Community Forums

Cheap Hardware for Launchbox

screwball69

PS2 era is tricky since it can be such a CPU hungry emulator. While it doesn't have the level of power needed for something like Cemu to run smoothly it does require something fairly good. You will probably want something that is at least 3 GHz plus a dedicated graphics card if you want to do any of the graphical enhancement stuff like resolution scaling.

You can definitely come down quite a bit in the hardware requirements.

I guess the next question is what sort of budget does your friend have in mind and how small does it have to be ?

My HTPC setup while it isn't compact since its on old PC and it handles PS1 using ePSXe without problems. Its an old eMachine that's got got an AMD cpu running at 2.4 GHz, 2 Gigs of Ram and I threw my old Radeon 7800 series graphics card in it with 1 gig of ddr5 vram for shaders. I have't tried any N64 stuff on it but I would imagine Project64 would be fine with it.

The Retroarch PS1 core is too much for it and probably the N64 core might be a bit too much for it as well, I haven't tried.

This machine also handles BigBox fine with some tweaks made to it like turning off animations and stuff. Check out this performance post I made here, I go over the tweaks I made and you will probably want a relatively curated games list. My collection on it is just over 2500 games so no 10,000 plus games and complete libraries on it.

Yeah, things like that could slow it down.

I know there has been talks of either a more performance friendly version of Launchbox or maybe some presets to quick adjust to "performance mode" but I haven't heard anything on it lately so don't take it as a for sure thing. Though with the latest beta using .NET 4.7 it made some performance gains.

There was a similar thread posted elsewhere on the forums. Might give you some ideas. 

If you buy used hardware locally you can get starter PC for somewhere in the 2-500 range. if you buy new, the barrier to entry is about 400$. A starter PC like the on in the link will play at least some games from the psx2/dolphin and others at full speed, and will chug through ps1 and n64 games no problem. 

Edited by mothergoose729