LaunchBox Community Forums

Best RetroArch core list

Rincewind

2 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Such a list is a chore to make and maintain because things can change very often. We do have a thread for this already and in that thread I have my list but of course others may / do have their own personal preference.

Thanks for the info.  I hoped that there were definitive emulators for compatibility that wouldn't change that often.  Heck maybe the ones that come up in Launchbox are fine still.  I will look the info you linked and use it as my guide.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Amoo said:

I hoped that there were definitive emulators for compatibility that wouldn't change that often.

Things can and do change, one such example would be NES emulation. For a long time the Nestopia and FCEUMM cores were the 2 best by far but then came along Mesen which completely blew those out of the water with accuracy and compatibility. Another example was Saturn emulation, SSF for the longest time was the best way to do it and then seemingly overnight Mednafen added Saturn support and then got a core for Retroarch and changed what would be the "best and most compatible" emulator for that system.

Also it is often a matter of what is best for the end users system. Higan for example is a cycle accurate emulator but requires a fairly good CPU to drive it along with not so easy to find special chip dumps to get the full functionality and compatibility whereas the Snes9x core is almost as good and has much lower CPU requirements and no special chip dumps. While Snes9x is not cycle accurate it does emulate 99% of the games perfectly fine without any glitches.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Things can and do change, one such example would be NES emulation. For a long time the Nestopia and FCEUMM cores were the 2 best by far but then came along Mesen which completely blew those out of the water with accuracy and compatibility. Another example was Saturn emulation, SSF for the longest time was the best way to do it and then seemingly overnight Mednafen added Saturn support and then got a core for Retroarch and changed what would be the "best and most compatible" emulator for that system.

Also it is often a matter of what is best for the end users system. Higan for example is a cycle accurate emulator but requires a fairly good CPU to drive it along with not so easy to find special chip dumps to get the full functionality and compatibility whereas the Snes9x core is almost as good and has much lower CPU requirements and no special chip dumps. While Snes9x is not cycle accurate it does emulate 99% of the games perfectly fine without any glitches.

From the outside looking in I thought emulators for older systems would be fairly complete and static.  Good to know, thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...