LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore VIC-20

4pp_r0n3

Here is the settings for the one game I was having trouble with and solved with the -cart command.

The other screen is the settings I am using for VICE.

What game are you trying to get running?  I can sort it out on my side and let you know how I got it started.  Give me the exact file name of the ROM you are using.   

Lode Runner Settings.jpg

VICE settings.jpg

This one was tricky, mainly because there are a lot of Vic20 ROM dumps that are multipart, and I haven't quite figured out how to run two seperate files in Launchbox, one after another, with different custom command line parameters for each.

So until someone helps me with that, what I have been doing is finding alternative dumps where someone has already combined the two parts together.

What you were running with all the 6000 prg files you were finding was probably only half of the dump, with (very likely) some A000 files that need to be run as well.  

I was able to locate the following dump of The Vic20 Atarisoft version of Moon Patrol:   (Notice that is does not have "multipart" in the title)

Moon Patrol (1983)(Atarisoft)(NTSC)[6000].CRT

This file is located in the TOSEC.2016.11.11.Commodore.VIC20.AlphaBot ROM collection on Archive.org.

With this file, the -cart6 command will run the game without any problems.    (you MUST unzip the file first!)

A few notes:

For some reason I was not able to import this file with Launchbox.  I think the square brackets are causing problems.  Once I removed the square brackets around [6000] it worked fine.

Also I am noticing on my imports that when I import zip files, a lot of games get missed for some reason.  So I am only imported unzipped roms.  I am only noticing this with my Vic20 Roms.

I hope this helps.

Sorted! Yeah your'e right about the multipart roms, each one I tried had two files, I thought they was different types of roms. Anyway, I grabbed that TOSEC collection you mentioned. Every rom I've tried (CRT) now works! Cheers for your help m8 :)

Little tip: There's no need to unzip each rom before you import it. Goto Tools/Manage Emulators/Winvice/Edit then tick the 'Extract rom archives before running' box.

Thanks again :)

• 3 months later...

I must admit I'm having a rough time with getting the different types of files to work with Vice in LaunchBox. A few work fine, but most don't work at all. Can anyone who has all the tape, disk and cartridge files working nicely possibly share their configuration, please?

• 6 months later...

Guys after playing around with PRG Starter and running into some snags, I'm moving onto a different solution.  Even though it's useful for many situations, from what I can tell it still does not provide an easy command line method of running multipart files, which means excluding some of the best Vic20 cartridges.  

I feel like the best option is to follow in Zombeaver's footsteps on the C64 Dreams project, and use RetroArch with the latest VICE xvic core.  There is a lot of great features being added right now on the VICE cores, and the ability to to use shaders etc from Retroarch is just too powerful to ignore.   I'll update when I'm further along.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacGuyver said:

I feel like the best option is to follow in Zombeaver's footsteps on the C64 Dreams project, and use RetroArch with the latest VICE xvic core.  There is a lot of great features being added right now on the VICE cores, and the ability to to use shaders etc from Retroarch is just too powerful to ignore.   I'll update when I'm further along.   

Thanks for the update, Mac. I'll be watching this thread veeeery closely :)

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem with multipart files solved it by editing the 'use custom command line parameters' in the emulation tab of each game.

To get Centipede running I used this

-cart2 "C:\Commodore VIC20\Centipede2000.crt" -cartA "C:\Commodore VIC20\CentipedeA000.crt"

Thanks  MacGuyver your tips helped me when I was about to give up.

Edited by Basher997
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

I just removed all my Vic games that require a memory expansion from launchbox. That solves a lot of issues I was having. Most of the games that actually require an expansion are pretty blah anyway to be honest. Truthfully, the only game I played that required a memory expansion that I play on a regular basis is Super Amok, anyway. So it really was no big loss, as I can still play that game by opening vice separately anyway