LaunchBox Community Forums

Pokémon vs. Pokemon

Norfair

There is a moderation "fight" right now between "Pokémon" and "Pokemon" for the facing name.

This is my take on this (and interpretation of the guidelines).
1. The facing name should always reflect the game box (North America has first priority if it was released there): 
"Pokémon"
2. Use liberal use of alternate names for better matching: 
"Pokemon" (region "North America")

The region "North America" makes this an alternate name for the facing name, because the facing name should be "North America" if it was released there.

What do you think?

Edited by Norfair

20 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

before the accent mark would break the DB not sure if it changed but that was the main reason we were using Pokemon without it.

What do mean by "break the DB"? The matching from LB didn't work?

This was probably a problem when LB didn't check for alternate names. I think the alternate names should be used for all matching problems.

I don't remember if the alternate name matching is only in beta? I haven't testing this a lot, but it seems to be working in the latest beta.

I did some tests in LB 7.11b7.
I've testing the name matching on some games with the "Search for Metadata" button in the "Edit Game" dialog.

If a game has "Pokémon" in the facing name and "Pokemon" in an alternate name. I get get a match for both "Pokémon" and "Pokemon"
If a game has "Pokémon" in the facing name and no alternate names. I get a match only for "Pokémon".

Everything works just as expected.
But if "Pokémon" is used in the facing name, there really should be an alternate name with "Pokemon".