LaunchBox Community Forums

Hard drives and rom paths

KevinP

Hi all,

I'm new to Launchbox but after reading up on it and watching videos, I decided to leave HyperPiePC and went ahead and purchased BigBox. If I understand correctly, Launchbox requires roms to be in Launchbox folder and they can't be located outside that or not without great difficulty. Is this something that will be addressed anytime soon? I ask because I have two external drives with games. I would prefer to leave the games that don't require much processing speed on those and just have high demand games like DC, PS2 and so forth on internal drive. 

Thinking about getting an internal 8TB SATA III drive and just having everything there if it looks like rom paths are going to be trouble. That may be the easiest solution. Opinions?  

Oh man that is great to hear! Maybe I was reading old info..?? Is it difficult to assign those paths? Also, do you recommend putting the games with higher processing needs in the internal drive where LB is? Feeling much better- thank you D0S76!  :D

As DOS76 said you can have the roms where you want. Leaving them within the Launchbox folder just makes it that much easier to move launchbox if you so choose to another pc or drive. But if you do not put them in the launchbox folder structure it is not really a major issue to update rom paths. 

When you import your games just keep them stored where you want them than you link to that path. Just be sure to choose the option during import to have launchbox leave the files where you have them. There is an option to have launchbox move them and you do not want that. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

if they are multi file games do what I said but instead search for the file type you desire in Explorer and when that pops up click on one game and hit ctrl+a and select them and drag them onto LB same results and for best results don't move MAME games into LB without expecting to have to edit the file path in MAME and if you move multidisc games into LB folder make sure you also move your other files also or they won't work.

• Like 1

Two more scenarios if games are in folders and have multiparts when you search add *.filetype and it will search the sub directories also If your game files with weird names but are in normal named folders there is a checkbox inside of the import that allows you to name the game with the folder name instead of the file name.

If you read the prompts during the import on all the forms you will see it is very versatile and that may situations have been thought out and handled already by the program I strongly suggest that you subscribe to the YT channel and check out the tutorials section there are a lot of videos out there that will show you how to set it all up.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1