LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Emulator In game save does not work

itsbosiang

Hi,

I just tried installing launchbox and big box and it works great except for one thing. Saving game.

I'm using ZSNES Emulation, in big box (I think even in launchbox) when I play game (say super mario world), There are 2 scenarios:

1. If I choose to play --> playing games --> then at one point the game ask if I wanted to save --> I choose save --> press escape to quit the games --> try to play again --> the game does not have that save point (It does not even create the .srm file)???

2. If I choose to open zsnes --> then from the emulator menu choose to play the games --> then playing games --> following the same step as above --> when I try to play again --> the save point is actually getting saved (the .srm file is actually getting created).

Why is that?

Is there anyway to solve this, so I dont have to go to zsnes emulator first? kinda losing the purpose with all those fancy Graphic on big box, just to ended up opening it up through zsnes.

Thank you

You may not like the answer I am going to give you but please for the love all that is good do not use ZSnes, at least upgrade to Snes9x at a minimum. ZSnes is extremely old, outdated and by any standards a terrible emulator to use. Retroarch with its Snes9x or BSnes cores are many peoples preferred SNES emulator nowadays but the stand alone version of Snes9x is at least a functional emulator and is far more compatible than ZSnes.

As for a reason why your problem is happening that would most likely be a ZSnes problem and not a Launchbox problem, Launchbox does nothing to interfere with an emulators save  function.

• Like 1

Hmm.. thanks for the reply @lordmonkus

I accept any kind of emulator as long as it works. The problem with snes9x, the diagonal input does not work. Any idea how to fix that?

so up, down, left, right work correctly. but when I play a game like street fighter II for example, down, downright, right for hadouken, does not work or jumping to the front does not work, basically any diagonal input.

Simply bind the diagonals in the Input Configuration, the best way I found to do it reliably was was to click and hold the mouse button in the diagonal direction box and while the mouse button is held press the diagonal on your control, It should bind.

59a8cf700d9a1_2017-08-3123_07_25-InputConfiguration.png.e685e24c204d408a93b3f5083a9c68a5.pngAnother option is Retroarch which myself and many users around here think is the best overall way to emulate anything that is 8, 16 or 32. If that is something you have no experience with it can be a bit daunting but the effort put into it is well worth it.

Here is a guide I wrote up for newcomers to it to help get it up and running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1