LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Text sizes

Eldith

Just got Big box and have started playing with custom themes,

However I am having a issue where the text is too large and is getting cut off (this was an issue with text in the default options window in big box before I changed themes)

I having big box set to my second monitor (HDMI TV & 1080p) and game descriptions are getting cut short. 

I can't seem to find font size anywhere, any help would be great.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Hi welcome to BB and the forums! It'll depend on which theme you're using. Please provide the theme name and a screenshot of the problem so the community can better help you.

Hi Eatkinola,

It seems to do it on the default theme however I'm currently using CleanBG

On this ss you can see on the bottom right it cutting off the end of the text

5f6407d339fc90417d676d6ee9d82bb4.jpg

And on this ss it cutting off some menu options

6079594aca6ffe65f5407248cb49bb4c.png

This is on a 35 inch 1080p res screen so the text is huge. Talking about 2CM high.

19 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Is your Windows scaling turned up past 100% that causes issues with some themes not displaying text correctly

Hi DOS76 did a quick check its set at default 100%

Edited by Eldith

5 hours ago, eatkinola said:

I agree with @DOS76 it does sound like a scaling issue, but yours is set at the default. Hmm. What version of Windows are you running?

Currently Running windows 10

5 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Also, in the meantime maybe try another theme like Fundamental. It's a shot in the dark, but just for kicks.

So tried Fundamental:

Center text is better and more appropriately sized

6f24447bf7f2dedfccd3fef029257f12.jpg

However left bar text so game names and menu options are still massive.

5fd42505ae24b0c717b8568e1bf99f0a.jpg

GOD DAM IT!

Now I feel stupid.

I presumed that the text scale size setting was for the whole system.

So was looking here:

1db4cc9d404de904c01fdd68f9c43d55.png

I was randomly checking my 2nd screen resolution

1bbb36f8f9a086b939ebcd5438647039.png

So text scale is screen specific WHO KNEW but yeah that seems to have solved the issue.

01432f93039b06034a5c32e54372c237.jpg

I feel like a muppet.

And Thank you for the help :D

Edited by Eldith
  • Like 1

well what do you know I wasn't aware that you monitors can have different text size I'll have to check out my multi monitor setups and see if they differ.

Yeah my 50 inch HDTV is set to 150 and my 24 inch monitor is set to 1080x1920 at 100

Edited by DOS76

31 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

well what do you know I wasn't aware that you monitors can have different text size I'll have to check out my multi monitor setups and see if they differ.

Yeah my 50 inch HDTV is set to 150 and my 24 inch monitor is set to 1080x1920 at 100

Yeah as soon as I saw it it made me irrationally mad lol.

It was a why do you do this to me moment

Nnnnnnuuuuuuuhhhhhh+my+brain+_bcb5c53086

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I am using a tv that supports 1080p but defaults to 1360 x 768 when connected to PC. I love using BigBox on it so I can play from my bed, but the images are cut off and the text is entirely too big. I checked out the scaling and it is set to 100%

using Nvidia GTX 1080ti, windows 10, and launchbox 8.2 beta 4. Have multiple monitors connected (as in picture)

scaling issues.png

settings.png

Edited by alucard971

4 minutes ago, alucard971 said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I am using a tv that supports 1080p but defaults to 1360 x 768 when connected to PC. I love using BigBox on it so I can play from my bed, but the images are cut off and the text is entirely too big. I checked out the scaling and it is set to 100%

using Nvidia GTX 1080ti, windows 10, and launchbox 8.2 beta 4. Have multiple monitors connected (as in picture)

scaling issues.png

settings.png

Most themes are designed for 1080p screens specifically, so that's why the text is off for you. You say the TV supports 1080p so cant you just force it to 1080 in the dropdown? Also there are a couple of themes in our downloads section that have lower res versions, perhaps try one of those. Also I think the included Critical Zone theme will scale correctly to that res but I don't have a screen to test it on I'm afraid.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

yea same issue with the built in critical zone theme.   my scaling is set to 150% as im on 4k displays, but changed it to 100 and the problem still presents.

scaling/4k has imposed enough that I regret going 4k much more than i should.  still doesnt seem to have a hand in this case.   TBH even if it did nothing i could do about it cause turning off scaling on a 4k 27" monitor is not gonna happen with these old eyes :P

• 11 months later...

I am also reviving this topic as I can't find a fix to the text being too big on one of my computers using Big Box. The LaunchBox desktop program is OK.

All of my monitors are at 100% scaling in Windows. All other programs are displayed OK, only BB is affected. Resolution is 1920x1080 on a standard 27" monitor and using Windows 10.

For testing purposes, I copied my LB folder on another computer and the text there is OK. This issue is system specific. 

So that tells me that there is a setting somewhere in Windows or BB that forces the program's scaling but I can't find it. I tried forcing the scaling by right-clicking the Bigbox.exe>Properties>Compatibility>DPI... but there is no change. I spent a few hours on this problem looking trough NVIDIA settings panel and anywhere I could find in Windows. I haven't looked through the registry yet.

If I change the scaling to anything bigger, like 150%, it's WAY too big, as if I was at 300%. 

The computer used to be in Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 two years ago. I think it used to be in 150% zoom and somehow this setting might have stuck for BigBox only even though it wasn't installed at the time. 

Anyone with enough knowledge on this that can help me? Thanks.

I just figured something out using RegEdit : 
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings\*a long string for monitors*\DpiValue > Set to "0" -- Mine was set to a weird value. 

BigBox is now showing at the right scale.

There is a downside : my main monitor is now set back to 150% by default. If I change it back to 100%, BB goes big again. Windows recommends 150% for my main monitor and 100% for my secondary monitor (used by BB).

So if I scale my main monitor to 125%, BB is a bit bigger on the secondary monitor. If I scale my main monitor to 100%, BB is very big on the secondary monitor.

So in conclusion so far, the bigger the scaling on the main monitor, the smaller BB is on the second monitor... weird.

I'm almost there but I figured it might help someone else having this issue by sharing what I found so far.

Maybe this is because I have three monitors with different resolutions? 

Just for your info, I have monitor 1 set to 1080x1920 (vertical), monitor 2 set to 1920x1080, monitor 3 set to 1280x1024. All set to be aligned over one another in a pinball cab.

Edited by Gab Power