LaunchBox Community Forums

How to exit pcsx2 and Mame using a controller instead of a keyboard

treylasalle

In LaunchBox, go to Manage Emulators and be sure the following Auto-Hotkey script is under the tab designated for it (copy and paste the bolded bits it if it's not):

; This section closes PCSX2 when pressing Escape
$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

For MAME, you don't need the script.

Now launch BigBox and go to Options -> Controller Automation

I use a DualShock 4 myself and I set the Hold button to my Share button (appears in BB as button 7) and the Close the Active Window button to Options (button 8 in BB), so you can do the same with Back and Start on yours.

Now when you are in a game and you want to exit, hold the Back button and then press Start. This will close the game and emulator.

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:25 PM, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

In LaunchBox, go to Manage Emulators and be sure the following Auto-Hotkey script is under the tab designated for it (copy and paste the bolded bits it if it's not):

; This section closes PCSX2 when pressing Escape
{
}

For MAME, you don't need the script.

Now launch BigBox and go to Options -> Controller Automation

I use a DualShock 4 myself and I set the Hold button to my Share button (appears in BB as button 7) and the Close the Active Window button to Options (button 8 in BB), so you can do the same with Back and Start on yours.

Now when you are in a game and you want to exit, hold the Back button and then press Start. This will close the game and emulator.

Perfect Explanation!!

Works like a charm.. Thank you!! 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 4:41 AM, Syntax36 said:

Perfect Explanation!!

Works like a charm.. Thank you!! 

funny enough- I went to check on this and enter the script only to find that it is there- and that it functions as prescribed.....I must have found it posted somewhere across the interwebs and applied ..

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, steveboura said:

funny enough- I went to check on this and enter the script only to find that it is there- and that it functions as prescribed.....I must have found it posted somewhere across the interwebs and applied ..

Thanks for your help!

Your very welcome!

• 3 months later...

works fine for me with pcsx2 and xbox one wireless. can you go to menu Tools->Manager Emulators, edit pcsx2 and screenshot the "Emulator Details" and "AutoHotKey Script" tabs?

my default command line parameter is:

--nogui --fullscreen

my ahk tab has:

{
}

and menu tools->options Automation is enabled and set for my xbox one controller with a hold button and close active window. i use back and start buttons.

• Like 1

I have all the same settings. I have even tried a script that runs alt F4. Since I got automation to work to show launch box, I’m going to try different buttons, for closing the emulator, and see if that works.

i edited the closing automation and it didn’t help.

Edited by Cobbett
Added content

24 minutes ago, ckp said:

Looks right. 

You don't run pcsx2 as admin and not run LB as admin do you, or vice-versa? If you do, run both not as admin and try.

That solved it!!

I was having issues with the emulator itself and tried running it as admin. When I fixed the issue I didn’t change it back.

Thank you so much!!

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I have the same question and I have no controller automation option in bigbox. It simply isn't there. Has it been moved or removed since this post? It seems like a very useful feature and not being able to close pcsx2 with the controller is the one thing keeping my living room arcade box from being a dedicated arcade box. 

10 hours ago, stoutyeoman said:

I know this is an old topic, but I have the same question and I have no controller automation option in bigbox. It simply isn't there. Has it been moved or removed since this post? It seems like a very useful feature and not being able to close pcsx2 with the controller is the one thing keeping my living room arcade box from being a dedicated arcade box. 

Its been renamed to controller mappings.