LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch or specific emulators?

mrogeriodf

I was wondering if is better to use Retroarch or specific emulators for each kind of game.

I explain: I used to play all my games via Retroarch. Mostly of them work perfectly there, including MAME, Final Burn Alpha and Neo Geo ROMS.

Now, using LB, after had all my arcade roms imported successfully ,I can't  run any game that used to run fine on Retroarch.  

In other hand, I've tested some roms from SNES using SNES9x emulator (not Retroarch) and the games run great. 

Summary: should I tried to set my roms to use Retroarch only (how can I fix the error above)? or to use specific emulator for each type of game?

I use RA to emulate as many platforms as possible and use stand alone emulators like PPSSPP, PCSX2, Demul, Dolphin. The Dolphin core is pretty decent on RA for just Gamecube games but I would rather just use the stand alone for customization reasons. The PPSSPP core on RA has not been updated in ages iirc.

20 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

One thing to remember when importing arcade games is do not have Launchbox move or copy them, have it leave and use them where they are. Moving them can cause issues because of required bios and parent roms.

For some reason, I can't get to play games using Retroarch via LB. I double checked that my roms are working properly on RA itself, but when I go to LB nothing happens when I click them on. 

Mame and Snes 9x work fine though.

I don't have any problem to get all emulators separatelly, but all of them have hotkey support?  That's the reason I love Retroarch, I can save, load, pause and do everything through my joypad. Do you guys know if I can do the same using stand emulators?

did you edit retroarch in manage emulators. The Snes core defaults to an outdated core that isn't in the program any longer so that needs to be edited and Arcade isn't in the settings by default it needs to be manually added to LB. Once you open the form to edit RetroArch go to the associated platform tabs to change -L "cores\snes9x_next_libretro.dll" to -L "cores\snes9x_libretro.dll" and then type in Arcade as a platform with the command -L "cores\mame_libretro.dll"

10 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

did you edit retroarch in manage emulators. The Snes core defaults to an outdated core that isn't in the program any longer so that needs to be edited and Arcade isn't in the settings by default it needs to be manually added to LB. Once you open the form to edit RetroArch go to the associated platform tabs to change -L "cores\snes9x_next_libretro.dll" to -L "cores\snes9x_libretro.dll" and then type in Arcade as a platform with the command -L "cores\mame_libretro.dll"

That could work. Thanks guys, I'll try again and back here to say the results.  Thank you very much. 

On 29/09/2017 at 12:21 PM, DOS76 said:

I'm back to tell you that your tip worked perfectly. That saved a lot of time and let my big box awesome. Thank you so much!

• Like 1