LaunchBox Community Forums

External drive & lag inquiry

Exequiel3k

Hey all, 

I tried using a USB-drive but noticed the games would freeze (2-3 secs from time-to-time) because the external drive had to start spinning again to fetch the requested data (my guess) and it got pretty annoying.. 

Consequently, I was considering buying a Sandisk 128gb ultra microSDXC U1 (price/performance balance) but I was wondering if it could potentially cause lag due to lower read speeds than USB? Have any of you emulated using microSD cards (U1 or lower speeds) on ps1, GameCube, Dreamcast, etc.?

Thx for the feedback!

Edited by Exequiel3k
Format..

Its a factual thing that the speeds on SD/microSD are slower than USB 3.0, that said I have 2 tablets using microSD for LB and they are adequate I guess as the specs are low and expecting lightening quick speed would be silly. In BB mode loading images is a slow down on the tablets I've never thought about it being the cards fault and just blamed it on the low system specs but that could be contributing to the issue. Have you tried messing with the power settings for your USB in Device Manager you can usually tell the PC not to power down ports and that could keep your drive from spinning down.

Edited by DOS76

Yeah,I’m aware of the factual numbers in regards to USB/SD speeds.. I was thinking more about if the difference was actually felt in-game (for more data heavy games). Ideally, I’d prefer the SD-route since it’s hidden and I’d have one less thing to carry around but I don’t want noticeable in-game issues..

The only thing stored on the SD would be the games, everything else would stay in the computer ssd.. 

Edited by Exequiel3k

The Retroarch PS1 core can be set to cache the whole cd image when a game is launched, not sure if the other disc based emulators offer a similar option though. Might be worth checking the emulators you are using. Also if you have a small sd card laying around you could test before committing to spending the money on a large size card.