LaunchBox Community Forums

Attract Mode Memory Usage

bbweiners

Hi All,

My issue is Attract Mode after about 24-36 hours uses all of my system memory. This has happened multiple times since I started using the feature about a week ago. I'm getting an error message. I don't remember the exact verbiage, but it's something to the effect of, Windows is almost out of memory.

I tried switching to Windows Media Player, but that doesn't seem like a good fix since it messes up video alignment between full and widescreen videos. Meaning, I can edit my theme to play videos with proper alignment for full or widescreen videos, but not both. 

Big Box version 7.14

Windows 7

4gb of memory

VLC as video player

Thank You

Edited by bbweiners

I would try switching to WMP for videos. Memory leak has been reported before and in the beta thread here it was talked about. One of our members CKP was having issues and on recommendation switched to WMP since Jason mentioned VLC uses alot of RAM. It seemed to work for CKP so give it a try. 

I remember Jason mentioning BigBox out of the box can use 1GB of RAM and it is not uncommon to use more depending on what bells and whistles of BigBox you use. I linked to that beta thread twice. Probably worth a read for you. So on 4GB of RAM you may want to keep the theme bare bones of the WMP switch does not help. 

It seems like Windows Media Player is the only fix right now. It just stinks since the placement of widescreen and fullscreen videos are different from each other when I use it instead of VLC. But, I have noticed other themes don't have that issue. So, I guess I'll just need to learn XAML better to fix the issue with my theme. Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

That’s odd. I have used both VLC and WMP on most themes we have available without that issue. I would probably post a question on the thread for the themes this issue occurs for you and see if the theme creator can give some advice. 

Hate to contradict you here fella, but...... I have the same issue on some themes. If the theme is built to support 16:9 videos the 4:3 videos are off centre as they start where the 16:9 one would, but are not as wide, so are seemingly placed towards the left of the screen because of the lack of width, (basically the 4:3 image doesn't stretch as far across the screen so seems to be aligned to the left) This only happens with WMP and aligns just fine with VLC. :) 

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Hate to contradict you here fella, but...... I have the same issue on some themes. If the theme is built to support 16:9 videos the 4:3 videos are off centre as they start where the 16:9 one would, but are not as wide, so are seemingly placed towards the left of the screen because of the lack of width, (basically the 4:3 image doesn't stretch as far across the screen so seems to be aligned to the left) This only happens with WMP and aligns just fine with VLC. :) 

No not at all my good man. I know you definitely have more experience and more knowledge on these things than me. You are not really contradicting me as I only stated it was odd I do not experience it. I was not saying it was not an issue. It could be the themes and the views of the themes I use just do not clearly show the issue or maybe since I use a triple monitor set up the software I use to keep video resolutions in sync takes care of it. I am sure there is a reason I have not experienced it. :D

I am curious to see if I can get see it on my machine. What theme for you does this occur? 

Edited by Retro808
removed link

2 hours ago, bbweiners said:

Rincewind & New Retro Big Box

Thanks @bbweiners Just loaded up Rincewind to test. Here is a video. I am on WMP and videos run good. You can even see in NES the video briefly tries to change size before it plays. In some videos like in Wii the video goes almost into an ultrawide display. I thought I was using software to keep resolutions in line on all 3 monitors but I am not. I only have it set in the Windows 10 display settings. I do not think I altered anything. You do not see your issue in my video right? Just making sure I am not blind and missing something. I am no means an expert on this stuff. I just share and try to help when I can. I just wonder what is I do not see the offset videos. 

Edited by Retro808
fixed link

@neil9000 Ah now I see. I figured it could be down to likely I do not see it as the views I use do not show the true issue. I typically use full screen views or one where the view is offset in the layout it is hard to tell the alignment issue is present. In CZ2 in the view you posted I see it clear as day. :ph34r::D Once again you imparted your knowledge on me! 

Please correct me as I have a lot to learn. If I am wrong I am wrong no way around it.  You are right that picture you shared painted it bright and clear. Now I know what to look for the more I tweak and test things. I honestly never recall seeing that as most views I tend to you seem to mask the offset. 

@bbweiners Thanks as well to you. Your post helped me see something new. 

• Like 1

Its only a WMP issue, so most never encounter it at all as the default is VLC.

Also @Retro808 I'm still learning also, the other mods have been here longer than I, and are more knowledgeable in areas I have never touched, MS-DOS springs to mind, I haven't got a clue there, but I know a mod that does ;) So some behind the scenes discord chat works wonders. :)