LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox is very laggy out of nowhere; was fine for over a month

Arcade1993

Hi all! 

I have been happily using LaunchBox for over a month now. I use Big Box mode for my stand-up CRT-based arcade machine (everything runs very low resolution; just the way I like it).

Out of seemingly nowhere, I am now getting a lot of lag scrolling through games in Big Box mode. I have a pretty beefy machine (core i7 running at 4.2ghz, 24gb of RAM and an SSD). 

I am not sure what could have caused it. The only thing I did to my machine was add 2 AimTrak guns. I doubt that could be the cause (it doesn't even have software running in the background). I have pretty barebones for the skin (no marquees or graphics for the titles; just text. No background videos or anything!). Here, take a look:

osmxVDO.png

Nothing too crazy. 

Again the odd thing is that it worked absolutely fine a week ago. I could scroll through the list with lightning speed. Now, seemingly out of nowhere, it scrolls through the list with a pretty big lag. I am talking a good 1/20th of the speed it used to go through the list. 

If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to not delete my entire setup and start over because I had a lot of issues with LaunchBox doing things like showing me Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (even though I told it to give North American games preference) and wonky Playchoice 10 entries amongst a few other things that I had to manually fix, so if I can fix this without starting from scratch, that would  be awesome! 

Thank you! :)

On 12/10/2017 at 6:18 PM, Arcade1993 said:

Hi all! 

I have been happily using LaunchBox for over a month now. I use Big Box mode for my stand-up CRT-based arcade machine (everything runs very low resolution; just the way I like it).

Out of seemingly nowhere, I am now getting a lot of lag scrolling through games in Big Box mode. I have a pretty beefy machine (core i7 running at 4.2ghz, 24gb of RAM and an SSD). 

I am not sure what could have caused it. The only thing I did to my machine was add 2 AimTrak guns. I doubt that could be the cause (it doesn't even have software running in the background). I have pretty barebones for the skin (no marquees or graphics for the titles; just text. No background videos or anything!). Here, take a look:

osmxVDO.png

Nothing too crazy. 

Again the odd thing is that it worked absolutely fine a week ago. I could scroll through the list with lightning speed. Now, seemingly out of nowhere, it scrolls through the list with a pretty big lag. I am talking a good 1/20th of the speed it used to go through the list. 

If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to not delete my entire setup and start over because I had a lot of issues with LaunchBox doing things like showing me Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (even though I told it to give North American games preference) and wonky Playchoice 10 entries amongst a few other things that I had to manually fix, so if I can fix this without starting from scratch, that would  be awesome! 

Thank you! :)

We have actually seen this elsewhere recently. Do you happen to be using LED Blinky? Apparently Windows Defender just decided out of the blue to have a problem with LED Blinky, and it was causing performance issues in Big Box for some odd reason. It's hard to believe we actually got this one figured out elsewhere lol. Let me know if that seems to be the problem for you as well @Arcade1993. You should be able to just exclude the LED Blinky folder from Windows Defender, I believe.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We have actually seen this elsewhere recently. Do you happen to be using LED Blinky? Apparently Windows Defender just decided out of the blue to have a problem with LED Blinky, and it was causing performance issues in Big Box for some odd reason. It's hard to believe we actually got this one figured out elsewhere lol. Let me know if that seems to be the problem for you as well @Arcade1993. You should be able to just exclude the LED Blinky folder from Windows Defender, I believe.

You people are AMAZING! Yes, I am using LEDBlinky!! 

How is Microsoft so bad at this? haha.  I feel like disabling Windows Defender completely!

I would have never figured this out in a hundred million years! I can't believe anyone else did!

Thank you again SO SO much!

edit: I just checked and I don't see anywhere that Windows Defender is considering LEDBlinky a virus. Does that mean my issue is unrelated?

Edited by Arcade1993

2 minutes ago, Arcade1993 said:

You people are AMAZING! Yes, I am using LEDBlinky!! 

How is Microsoft so bad at this? haha.  I feel like disabling Windows Defender completely!

I would have never figured this out in a hundred million years! I can't believe anyone else did!

Thank you again SO SO much!

edit: I just checked and I don't see anywhere that Windows Defender is considering LEDBlinky a virus. Does that mean my issue is unrelated?

It's possible, but the first thing I would try is disabling LEDBlinky in the LaunchBox settings. It's in LaunchBox under Tools > Options > General > LED Blinky.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's possible, but the first thing I would try is disabling LEDBlinky in the LaunchBox settings. It's in LaunchBox under Tools > Options > General > LED Blinky.

Thank you but there's a chance something like this happens again 10 years from now and I'm never going to remember this so I just completely disabled Windows Defender :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...