LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Newb - CHD / Merge / Split

newyears1978

So I went through this a long time ago when I had a full setup with Hyperspin, but starting over years later my mind has forgotten.

I have done some googling and got some info, but still confused on what I need to download. I think a Split Roms set is the way to go, for ease of updating wtih packs (if I understand correctly) but on the site I use is only listed a CHD merged set.
Is there a CHD Split set that I would want to use with a Split Rom set - or do I just get the Split Roms and the CHD Merged and I am golden?

My head is about to explode.

Edited by newyears1978

I can't say anything about CHDs since I don't use them but when it comes to the "normal" roms we recommend using either the split or non merged roms, the merged set is just too inflexible. I personally use the split set since it easily lets me choose the exact variation of a game I want.

I will tag @DOS76 though because he knows more about the CHD stuff and will be able to provide you better information on that.

• Like 1

I'm updating from 0.185 to 0.192, I know there isn't a ton of changes based on some youtube videos I see with new games supported, BUT....I've always been confused if NEW CHD's are needed or not when changing versions, or will my existing ones I'm using with 0.185 work fine?  @DOS76 - if you don't mind...thanks!

There are changes and additions to the CHDs every month but it is usually only a few games each update considering most CHD games don't even work yet there is a good chance that nothing you have that is working has changed so you may not need to bother updating them.

• Like 1