LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Controller setting saving

romruler

I am hoping someone can help me. I have read a bunch of topic threads, but I am still struggling with my issue. I am running MAME .182 and I cannot get my XBox controller settings to save. I go into MAME and set it up and then save the configuration, but as soon as I exit MAME, it goes away and I have to set up the controller settings each time I want to play a MAME game.  I have read that I need to open properties on mame.ini and check read-only and so on, which I have tried, but I may have messed it up. Can anyone help me with what my properties or proper way to go about setting up the controller configs and then how to save it? I would appreciate any help. Struggling here!!

i think i've seen that before. you might try checking your mame.ini if any file is set for ctrlr (search mame.ini, it should be the one under CORE INPUT OPTIONS). if there is a name to the right of ctrlr, you can check for that file inside the ctrlr folder in mame.

also there is a file default.cfg inside the cfg folder in mame which may also have controller settings to look at.

one or the other may be overriding your saves possibly. i think the default.cfg needs to have no settings if you set mame.ini to use a custom ctrlr controller file.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I seem to be having the same issue.

I'm using mameui64 and launchbox 8.2 and it doesn't seem to be saving the controller configs in the same way @romruler is stating above.

My mame.ini file has the following:

# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     0

My Mameui64\Cfg folder has the .cfg file in it and a default.cfg that contains:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="default" />
</mameconfig>

Any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, littlescratch said:

Hi, I seem to be having the same issue.

I'm using mameui64 and launchbox 8.2 and it doesn't seem to be saving the controller configs in the same way @romruler is stating above.

My mame.ini file has the following:

# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     0

My Mameui64\Cfg folder has the .cfg file in it and a default.cfg that contains:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="default" />
</mameconfig>

Any suggestions?

The controller settings ini is stored in MAME/cfg folder and is called default, I would suggest setting your controls in MAME then setting that file to read only by right clicking it and going to properties and checking the read only box and apply. That should stop it getting overwritten.

Screenshot (68).png

Screenshot (69).png

Just now, littlescratch said:

Ok that makes sense thanks.  I just need to know how to set the controls in MAMEUI64?  Any ideas?  I am new to MAMEUI

Thanks

I don't use the UI version of MAME but I assume its the same. Just load a game and hit TAB on your keyboard and go to "Input General" to set your controls for the default config. If you need game specific controls for some games then load that game and choose "input this machine". Also make sure to go to "other controls" in the input menu to set your coin and Player start button.

528542866_Screenshot(70).thumb.png.c8f33f26a3acaa86e38544c7b05962aa.png1800822596_Screenshot(71).thumb.png.d8ecc6857f48c50986c91791b89ac59e.png1917060287_Screenshot(72).thumb.png.ebbacee4b4361922b7a1af1a0647c415.png806864114_Screenshot(73).thumb.png.19dd9fcc23260f63df7268babc502644.png2122974540_Screenshot(74).thumb.png.389dce6483d5755d4cc6a3d61e448d0e.png

• Thanks 1