LaunchBox Community Forums

Some questions

Light Sock

Hi guys, I'm actually a Batocera user and I'm pleased with it for older computers. But I want to go to a more serious emulating multi systems computer and of course I mean LaunchBox.

I have few questions:

1. I know I can set windows to automatically load big box after boot. Can I be able to use the system without a keyboard and mouse once it's all setup? I would like tu put this in an arcade cabinet, that's why. Like just pressing ON on my bluetooth controllers and go play.

2. How's the scraper? I'm really looking to fill most consoles with fullsets all scraped. I've achieve this on Batocera (Recalbox), it took me 4 months for like 45 systems. How good is the built-in scraper? Do I have to do this all by myself or I can download scraped romsets somewhere? Is it really good? I've tried OpenEmu on my imac for example and the scraper is really bad. Is most games have videos, 3d box, etc?

3. I've seen lots of nice theme. Lots of them were using game box. Can I tell the theme to use 3D box image instead? I saw these on some systems on this website.

4. Is there a Facebook user group community?

5. Is it the good choice? Honestly I feel like yes it is. Hyperspin looks like an old broken hard to configure thing.

6. How's the cloud actually working? I have an unlimited Google Drive account. I would like to backup save my library there in case of a crash.

7. I think theres a way to play the games on my iphone? If yes can I do it on LTE outside my house?

Thanks a lot for your help and this awesome front-end!

Edited by G22

1)Many users have setups that don't use a keyboard and a mouse I'm not one of them even my arcade machine has a mini bluetooth keyboard mouse combo in case I need to get into windows and make some kind of changes but it is possible.

2)The scrapper is good for the most part but depending on the systems there are gaps in certain media types and there are occasionally mismatches on certain games so I'd say while not being perfect its more than adequate.

3)Not really sure about this one but I think you can use your 3d boxes

4)Not that I know of there are these forums and a Discord server though.

5)Well as a mod here and a long term user of LB I consider myself bias but I definitely feel that it is worth it especially when compared to other frontends.

6)If you have unlimited cloud storage backing up there shouldn't be any issue what so ever.

7)LB has no outside of network capability and only has functionality with Windows PCs there are some steaming apps that I believe you can use with Nvidia Shield and other so if IPhone has one of those it is possible I suppose but outside of my knowledge

• Like 1

Thanks for your detailed answers. The number 3 answer you gave me made me think of something else.

3A. How's the naming convention? Is it Hyperspin (like there's a gamelist and your roms needs the same name?). Or it's more like emulation station? You create your gamelist from your rom names and gather the information with the scraper?

3B. Like is it compatible with romsets that have a folder called wheel, snaps, box, cart, etc?

For 3a you can have your ROMs named anything and if they closely match entries in the LB database they will get a match so you don't have to have specifically named ROMs which is a big part of the ease of use factor of LB.

3b I imagine it will work with the roms but don't really have experience with roms being included with other folders of media assets.

• Like 1

Looks like DOS got you covered on all the questions. But I can just confirm in #3 yes you can use 3D boxes. In Launchbox just set the preferred image display for each platform that has 3D boxes to “3D Box” and the theme in BigBox will display just that, so long as it is coded for it. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

3) 3D boxes work just fine i use them myself, however some views in some themes are hardcoded to show a specific image type, however this can usually be changed quite easily by editing the theme code, for example changing "Boxes" to "3D Boxes" in the code for views that don't allow switching in the UI. 

3B) The folder structure in Launchbox is likely different to Batocera, but you should be able to copy the contents of the directory's to the relevant Launchbox folder. 

Edit: Ninja'd by @Retro808 :) 

• Like 2