LaunchBox Community Forums

Pheonix Emulator Integration/Command Line Help?

HellfireEternal

The best/easiest emulator for Atari Jaguar that can be integrated with LB/BB is retroarch/Virtual Jaguar... IMO.  It's not as accurate as the Phoenix emulator, but it works well and it very easy to setup (esp. if you already have retroarch setup for other cores already). - https://docs.libretro.com/library/virtual_jaguar/

Also. since the thread also mentioned it, FYI there is also a decent retroarch core for the 3D0 available - https://docs.libretro.com/library/4do/  So much easier to get going that trying to get Phoenix working... but as mentioned in this thread, IMO, there are very few games for the 3D0 that even make it worth the effort of setting up.  I used to have some of the "better" games installed in my retrogamer, never played them, and ended up removing them lol

Edited by CDBlue

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you so much for posting this loader script! It def makes using Phoenix much more bearable.

However, now that I can actually use the emulator without jumping through hoops, the whole 95% compatibility claim comes into question. Sure, a few more games launch than under Virtual Jaguar core, but just as many notable exclusives crash at the same exact spot as VJ, or refuse to work at all.

Unfortunately, Jaguar emulation remains a colossal turd.

6 hours ago, darkfalzx said:

Thank you so much for posting this loader script! It def makes using Phoenix much more bearable.

However, now that I can actually use the emulator without jumping through hoops, the whole 95% compatibility claim comes into question. Sure, a few more games launch than under Virtual Jaguar core, but just as many notable exclusives crash at the same exact spot as VJ, or refuse to work at all.

Unfortunately, Jaguar emulation remains a colossal turd.

Yep, I think the "95%" claim may be correct in that the games do run, but not all that well. I tried it out and there some very noticeable graphical glitches in a few of the Jaguar games. Hence, it is indeed a colossal turd and will probably remain that way for quite a while

There is just zero interest in having the system emulated, as even its best games would most charitably be described as either "an alright waste of ten minutes" to "not entirely terrible". This is the same reason there still haven't been an Everdrive-like device for the system.

My biggest disappointments with Phoenix Project is still not being able to run Iron Soldier 1 or 2, Hover Strike, or Trevor McFur. Hell, VC ALMOST runs McFur, but the resolution is all jacked up.

Edited by darkfalzx
dumb formatting mistake