LaunchBox Community Forums

FF7 Steam - Fixing the Startup Experience

JerseyXS97

Unfortunately, the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII is not a couch-friendly experience for two reasons, both related to the startup. The first being the launcher and the second being the keyboard controls screen that requires you to press X on the keyboard to continue. From there you can control it fine with a controller, especially using a mod that cleans it up. I've come up with two possible solutions to the problems, and they're both rather inconvenient. The first is to just have a small wireless keyboard about the size of a TV remote, which is nice to have anyway, to get those initial screens out of the way. Cool idea for general use anyway, but an extra purchase that isn't entirely necessary. The second is using a program called JoyToKey (Or similar) and setting L3 to X, right stick to mouse movement, and R3 to left mouse click. Sadly, this is flawed for couch usage as well, and this second solution is the one that I would like to work out both for FF7 and for any other games in the future. It would work great but there's a small problem: it would always need to be active to work from the couch and fix up the game and therefore change the input for more than just FF7.  I can think of a way around the input interruption caused by JoyToKey and similar programs, and that is to have it only start up when the game does and kill the process when the game closes. I'm not sure if this can be done through a batch file or through LaunchBox, or if it's even possible without an entirely new program, but I would love to figure this out. Any ideas?

Also, the PS1 version would fix all of this, but that's beside the point.

I know you mentioned not wanting to have extra 3rd party software but Controller Companion (available on Steam for a couple of bucks) would do this really easily. You can setup a profile that starts up with a specifc game (or program) and then defaults back to a base config when the game or program is closed out.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I know you mentioned not wanting to have extra 3rd party software but Controller Companion (available on Steam for a couple of bucks) would do this really easily. You can setup a profile that starts up with a specifc game (or program) and then defaults back to a base config when the game or program is closed out.

Wow, that's brilliant. I use all sorts of programs like it, but somehow never found that specific one. Thanks :D