LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing roms for Lynx emulated by Mame skips most of my games

Wolf_

I'm using the SmokeMonster Atari Lynx rom set and when I set it to import the A-Z game collection and homebrew folder it only imports 45 out of the several hundred games included. I've turned off every mame exclusion option on the importer and selected "Import all clones" and even selected "force importing duplicate games" on the option screen before that.

I don't understand why LaunchBox refuses to recognize these games.

Are you importing them using the Mame importer ? If so don't do that, it's gonna compare your roms against Mames database and your roms probably don't match it and that would be my guess as to your problem.

If you wanna use Mame as the emulator import them using another emulator first and then bulk edit to change over to Mame after, hopefully Mame likes your roms.

Not sure I would use Mame for the Lynx or 2600, Retroarch has very good cores for both systems.

Whenever possible I use Mame because it supports many systems either the best or on par with the best. Also Nonmame which lists the most accurate Emulators only lists mame on the systems where it is the best/tied with the best.
http://nonmame.retrogames.com/

I don't know why they would make it so the mame importer breaks when used on any other the dozens of platforms mame emulates to near perfection. That's a serious oversight.

The program is only setup to parse the arcade section of MAMEs naming so it doesn't recognize software list titles. I've asked that they be added but it hasn't been implemented as of yet. You can use MAME as the emulator for those systems but you will have trouble getting results if you are using the software list naming. I use MAME for a few systems myself you just need to use regularly named roms to get the correct metadata do as Lordmonkus suggested and import with another emulator and then switch the emulator to MAME.

11 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

The program is only setup to parse the arcade section of MAMEs naming so it doesn't recognize software list titles. I've asked that they be added but it hasn't been implemented as of yet. You can use MAME as the emulator for those systems but you will have trouble getting results if you are using the software list naming. I use MAME for a few systems myself you just need to use regularly named roms to get the correct metadata do as Lordmonkus suggested and import with another emulator and then switch the emulator to MAME.

Thanks for requesting the fix and yea I figured out how to avoid it but it sure would have been nice if it gave me a heads up it wouldn't include games it doesn't recognize.

9 hours ago, Wolf_ said:

Whenever possible I use Mame because it supports many systems either the best or on par with the best.

Sorry but this is simply not true, while Mame does emulate a lot of systems most often it is not the best or even close to on par with the best. Yes, sometimes it is and often it is the only choice for oddball systems but for the main stream 8, 16 and 32 bit consoles it barely qualifies as good, the only system it does a respectable job on is the Sega Genesis.

Now I am not opposed to Mames idea and what they are doing but right now they simply are trying to emulate too many systems and do them perfectly (which is a good goal) but too many systems are just left behind in a mediocre state. You might even want to take a look at their own article on what is the "best", more often than not they list other emulators as being the better option while Mames version is "preliminary, good or imperfect."

Given enough time though yes Mame will be even more awesome and emulate all these other systems equally as good or better than anything else out there but their goal is perfection which takes a lot of time and energy.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Sorry but this is simply not true, while Mame does emulate a lot of systems most often it is not the best or even close to on par with the best. Yes, sometimes it is and often it is the only choice for oddball systems but for the main stream 8, 16 and 32 bit consoles it barely qualifies as good, the only system it does a respectable job on is the Sega Genesis.

Now I am not opposed to Mames idea and what they are doing but right now they simply are trying to emulate too many systems and do them perfectly (which is a good goal) but too many systems are just left behind in a mediocre state. You might even want to take a look at their own article on what is the "best", more often than not they list other emulators as being the better option while Mames version is "preliminary, good or imperfect."

Given enough time though yes Mame will be even more awesome and emulate all these other systems equally as good or better than anything else out there but their goal is perfection which takes a lot of time and energy.

Your comment is the only one that isn't true. Nonmame lists mame as being the best option (or tied for the best) for the following systems:

• Acorn (Series) (Computer)
  • ADAM (Computer)
  • Alice32 (Computer)
  • Altair 8800 (Computer)
  • Amstrad CPC (Computer)
  • Apple II (Non-IIGS) (Computer)
  • Apple IIGS (Computer)
  • Aquarius (Computer)
  • Arcadia 2001 (Console)
  • Archimedes (Series) (Computer)
  • Atari 400/800 Series (Computer)
  • Atari 2600 (Console)
  • Atari 5200 (Console)
  • Atari 7800 (Console)
  • CD-i (Console)
  • Central Data 2650 (Computer)
  • ColecoVision (Console)
  • CPS Changer (Console)
  • CreatiVision (Computer)
  • Cybiko (Handheld)
  • Dreamcast Visual Memory System (Handheld)
  • FM Towns Marty (Console)
  • Game Boy (Handheld)
  • Game Boy Advance (Handheld)
  • Game Gear (Handheld)
  • Genesis (Console)
  • Instructor 50 (Computer)
  • Intellivision (Console)
  • JR-200U (Computer)
  • Lynx (Handheld)
  • Macintosh (Non-PowerPC)
  • Master System (Console)
  • MC-10 (Computer)
  • MO Series (Computer)
  • MSX Series (Computer)
  • MZ (Series) (Below 2000) (Computer)
  • MZ-2000 (Computer)
  • MZ-2500 (Computer)
  • Neo Geo AES (Console)
  • Neo Geo CD (Console)
  • Odyssey2 (Console)
  • Othello Multivision (Console)
  • PC-6001 (Series) (Computer)
  • PC98 (Series) (Computer)
  • Pico (Handheld)
  • PIPBUG-based Systems (Computer)
  • PocketStation (Handheld)
  • RX-78 (Computer)
  • Sega Computer 3000 (SC-3000) (Computer)
  • Sega Game 1000 (SG-1000) (Console)
  • Sega Super Control Station (SF-7000) (Computer)
  • Studio II (Console)
  • SuperGrafx (Console)
  • SuperVision (Handheld)
  • TO Series (Computer)
  • TurboGrafx 16 (Console)
  • TurboGrafx CD (Console)
  • TV Games Computer (Console)
  • VC 4000 (Console)
  • Vectrex (Handheld)
  • Videopac+ G7400 (Console)
  • WonderSwan (Handheld)
  • X1 (Computer)
  • X68000 (Computer)
  • ZX Spectrum (Computer)

Also you seem to think the disclaimer they put before most systems means mame is bad for them. In many cases the disclaimer is there to let you know that there is some minor audio glitch in some games (games that don't run at all or have more noticeable glitches in other emulators). The people at mame are simply so ocd they give you warnings if mame only covers 99% of the system's library of games perfectly. They literally have a warning to give you a heads up for everything that isn't perfect by their standards.

And none of that even matters tbh because if people choose to use mame they should be able to without over half their games not being imported without any warning/prompt from LaunchBox as to why.

You missed the part where I said "main stream 8,16 and 32 bit systems" and I also said in many cases it is the "only choice for oddball systems".

Most everything you just listed falls under the "oddball systems" category. Perhaps you should go back to the link you provided earlier in the thread where even they list other emulators as better since the Mame driver for it is listed as either preliminary.

9 minutes ago, Wolf_ said:

Also you seem to think the disclaimer they put before most systems means mame is bad for them.

Don't presume what I think. I am fully aware of the Mame devs OCD perfection nature and need to flag even an extremely minor problem audio glitch.

Anyways, I am not going to get into a further debate with you on this because you certainly seem to be stirring for a fight complaining about not receiving a warning/prompt because the Mame importer did not detect your console games, it is there for Arcade games since the vast majority of users don't use Mame for the "popular" consoles because there are better emulators.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

You missed the part where I said "main stream 8,16 and 32 bit systems" and I also said in many cases it is the "only choice for oddball systems".

Most everything you just listed falls under the "oddball systems" category. Perhaps you should go back to the link you provided earlier in the thread where even they list other emulators as better since the Mame driver for it is listed as either preliminary.

Don't presume what I think. I am fully aware of the Mame devs OCD perfection nature and need to flag even an extremely minor problem audio glitch.

Anyways, I am not going to get into a further debate with you on this because you certainly seem to be stirring for a fight complaining about not receiving a warning/prompt because the Mame importer did not detect your console games, it is there for Arcade games since the vast majority of users don't use Mame for the "popular" consoles because there are better emulators.

Regardless of your unhelpful "advice" this is a troubleshooting thread and LaunchBox leaving out half (or more) of the games you told it to import without a prompt because it doesn't approve of your choice of emulator is a major issue. Now either be helpful or go away or I'll report you for thread derailment since you can't seem to say anything on topic or productive.

I gave you helpful advice to work around your issue but I guess you didn't get the answer you wanted and you gave bad information about "Mame being on par with or better than most emulators"

So I suggest you not be so confrontational when you don't get the exact answer you want.

Locking this thread now and if you don't like it take it up with Jason.