LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't use Mupen64plus in Retroarch

twilight_universe

Hi there,

I've been following all of the tutorials for Retroarch and the only core that's giving me problems is Mupen64plus.  I downloaded the core in Retroarch, but the core refuses to play my rom (Goldeneye 007) when I select it.  Retroarch simply crashes. 

I am able to play Nintendo 64 roms with the core, ParaLLEl N64...  It runs the same rom just fine, however, when I attempt to use Mupen, it says 'Retroarch has stopped working' and the program closes out. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you. 

Okay, this is weird.  Based on your comment, Lordmonkus, I re-downloaded a portable zip of retroarch (not the installer version that installs in your %appdata% folder) and loaded up Mupen... and it WORKED.  ...and yet, I don't have any shaders running in my original retroarch...

Is there any way to confirm if mupen is running a shader that I'm not aware of? 

I can confirm.  After playing with settings, copying new versions of retroarch into my portable folder/etc -- IF you have 'AUTO SAVE STATE' and 'AUTO LOAD STATE' turned to ON in the saving options, Mupen64plus will not work. 

I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, why Mupen wasn't working.  After several hours of playing with settings, I am able to reproduce the issue each time by turning on the 'auto save states' option. 

Thanks again for the help, Lordmonkus!

Edited by twilight_universe
spelling
  • Like 2

Certain games may need specific core settings to make them work, it's just the nature of N64 emulation. Though if you have the CPU to drive it the Parallel core is more accurate and should require less tinkering with settings to make games work.

You can read more about it here https://www.libretro.com/index.php/parallel-n64-with-multithreaded-angrylion-released/

Yeah I don't know if Parallel works with netplay or not, but the theory is that any core that supports save states will support netplay but in turn can severely impact the games performance to the point on unplayability which to my knowledge was still an issue with Mupen64 as well. Your mileage may vary of course ;)