LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox adding "-1" to the end of rom names when importing

gldoorii

When I import a folder of roms into Launchbox, the program adds a "-1" at the end of the rom file name. While it doesn't effect the initial import, if I need to re-import the rom/folder for whatever reason (for example reinstalling Launchbox and reimporting the games), then I have to manually remove the "-1" in every filename in order for them to be imported correctly. It's quite frustrating when you have to go through hundreds manually changing their names. Any idea why this happens?

test.JPG

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

very odd I've never seen LB change or append anything to any of my ROMs. I'll tag @Jason Carr to this post maybe he will be able to add some insight in to what is occurring

Thank you. I can confirm this hasn't happened to every rom folder I've imported, but about 75% of them it has. I'm also using the option to move my roms to a folder within Launchbox. I'm still somewhat new to the program so I'm not sure what other helpful info I can share. Thanks.

Interesting. Thanks for this report @gldoorii. This should only be happening if there are files that already exist in the folder with the same name. In that situation it appends the "-1" so that it doesn't overwrite any files, I believe. Any chance that there might be hidden files in that folder, or something like that? Also, I assume this is happening when moving/copying the ROMs to the LaunchBox folder?

Thanks for the reply. No, there are no hidden files. I originally had all of my roms in their corresponding systems folders in another directory. During Import when asked if I would like to move or copy the files, I chose the middle option "Move the files into my LaunchBox games folder" and when the import is done I notice the "-1" at the end of the file names inside the folder LaunchBox moved them to.

This has happened a few times and I've uninstalled, moved my rom files back outside the LaunchBox folder where they originally were, rename them by deleting the -1, and reinstalled the program. Then I attempt to import them again. Sometimes a folder gets imported fine and sometimes this issue happens.

I just imported my Game Boy roms from another directory and now they have "-1-1".

test.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by gldoorii

54 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

when you remove the games are you 1st deleting them from LB if not that will explain the 1 as in the xmls they will still be there

No, I'm just uninstalling LB, but after it's uninstalled and I move my game folders out I'm deleting every other folder in that directory. The only file left in the Launchbox folder is my license.

I removed my PS1 games folder from Launchbox (all the files had -1 at the end), removed the system from LB, removed all the -1 from the file names, and re-imported the games with the "move" option and it added the -1 back. Man, this is weird.

I just uninstalled LB and I'll try installing it on my laptop later. Maybe it has something to do with the directory I'm using? No clue..

Alright, I figured this out. If you select to move the ROMs when they're already in the right folder and don't need to be moved, this happens. It's not really logical to attempt to move the files when they're already in the correct folder, but I can probably add something in to prevent it even if you chose the wrong options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, I figured this out. If you select to move the ROMs when they're already in the right folder and don't need to be moved, this happens. It's not really logical to attempt to move the files when they're already in the correct folder, but I can probably add something in to prevent it even if you chose the wrong options.

Thanks for looking into this. To clarify how I have my folders, I have a folder on my computer (called Emulators & Roms) that I keep all of my stuff in. Each system has it's own folder etc. I have LB installed into a completely different directory separate from these somewhere else on my hard drive. When I add a system to LB by importing the roms, I am choosing the option to have LB move the games from my original folder into the games folder in the LB directory. I'm dealing with two different directories,

I'm reading that you think I may have been trying to move the files to a directory they're already in, but that's not the case.

Edited by gldoorii

2 hours ago, gldoorii said:

Thanks for looking into this. To clarify how I have my folders, I have a folder on my computer (called Emulators & Roms) that I keep all of my stuff in. Each system has it's own folder etc. I have LB installed into a completely different directory separate from these somewhere else on my hard drive. When I add a system to LB by importing the roms, I am choosing the option to have LB move the games from my original folder into the games folder in the LB directory. I'm dealing with two different directories,

I'm reading that you think I may have been trying to move the files to a directory they're already in, but that's not the case.

It will try to move them to whatever folder is specified for the platform's Games folder:

image.thumb.png.ee598266ef00c0783d983fee555f5e2c.pngI'm guessing in this case it's the same folder.

Ok, let’s start over here and I’ll use better detail. Pretend I just did a fresh install of LB  no roms or emulators added.

I have two hard drives. 1) My C: drive that has my day to day stuff and where I have LB installed. 2) My D: drive where I store all of my photos, movies, music, media, and I have a folder that has all of my emulators and roms.

When I start the import process I get the window that was posted a couple posts above. I am choosing the middle choice which has LB take the roms from the D: drive and MOVE them to the LB folder on the C: drive. Once the import is complete and the files move from D: to C:, a lot of the time the files have a “-1” added to the file name.

I’m just trying to figure out what causes this issue since it requires me to do a lot of renaming. I understand how to use the other choices for importing, but I don’t want copies and I don’t want to leave them on the D: drive. 

Edited by gldoorii

here is what I would suggest trying take the unappended games from your D drive and copy them into your LB games folder without importing them then import them from there using the leave games where they are option and see if that doesn't fix the issue. Or just import them from D and leave them where they are currently. I personally never move my games I just use them from my existing folder structure.