LaunchBox Community Forums

"Default" video backgrounds

bundangdon

Since this topic came up, I was trying to find an answer on my own about this but haven't really been able to find a genuine solution just yet. Is there any way to use a default video (instead of a static picture-background) in the games list? For example, I would like to use one particular video in the background for Sega Genesis games, and if I switch to the Super Nintendo games list, there will be a different video playing in the background for that roms list. This might already be possible (or not?) but I wasn't exactly sure, and I tried to change the video with the City Hunter theme in the same manner as I mentioned before, but without any success. Any help or information would be appreciated :)

Edited by bundangdon

yes. use a gif with doubleanimation opacity (for fade transition) junctioned and make sure it is seen UNDER your current game background. Might not be wise to use a vid with sound because won't cease to stop making sound if your normal game bg has sound. So if you have no sound, that's why I recommend using a gif for this.

But if you want to try anyway, eatkinola's plugin allows for multiple vids in one area (i think)???

2 hours ago, shinra358 said:

yes. use a gif with doubleanimation opacity (for fade transition) junctioned and make sure it is seen UNDER your current game background. Might not be wise to use a vid with sound because won't cease to stop making sound if your normal game bg has sound. So if you have no sound, that's why I recommend using a gif for this.

But if you want to try anyway, eatkinola's plugin allows for multiple vids in one area (i think)???

Thanks a lot for the tip! Any advice on what's the best program/method to convert a mp4 to gif?

Unfortunately BigBox crashes when you use a gif as a fanart background, or at least that's what happened to me just now. However I'll try a few different other conversion methods and see what happens. Perhaps @Jason Carr is out there reading this, and will someday implement video backgrounds into the games list :) Also, I've seen video backgrounds used in themes like City Hunter, however it uses the same video for all games list

You didnt set it up right. It gives you the correct thing to add at the top under the gif video. It wasnt updated in the docs.

xmlns:gif="clr-namespace:WpfAnimatedGif;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf"

<Image gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Themes/finish your path to gif here" Stretch="Fill" RenderTransformOrigin="0,0">
            <Image.RenderTransform>
                <TransformGroup>
                    <ScaleTransform ScaleX="2.34" ScaleY="2.25"/>   <----adjust size this way. delete this message so it won't crash.
                    <SkewTransform/>
                    <RotateTransform/>
                    <TranslateTransform/>
                </TransformGroup>
            </Image.RenderTransform>
        </Image>

Edited by shinra358

49 minutes ago, shinra358 said:

You didnt set it up right. It gives you the correct thing to add at the top under the gif video. It wasnt updated in the docs.

Really appreciate the help but the whole process in photoshop is rather daunting and complicated. However, animget is a very useful program! In the meantime, I'll hold out for another method for now