LaunchBox Community Forums

Smallest computer; big performance

dbinott

Looking for advice for the smallest machine possible to fit into my 2 player stick below. I have seen some decent and small ones, but $700-800 is way too much. Would like to keep it under $400.

Will be an all platform machine, except for maybe N64, just heard it's a beast. Likely won't need to do the more recent CHD stuff.

Any recommendations?

2017-09-29 12.17.32-2.jpg

Edited by dbinott

ok, sorry, my bad. list such as. 

3do
atari800
atari2600
atari5200
atari7800
atarilynx
atarist
atarijaguar
atarijaguarcd
atarixe
colecovision
c64 - commodore 64
intellivision
msx
neogeo
n3ds - nintendo 3DS
n64 - nintendo 64
nds - nintendo DS
nes - nintendo entertainment system
gb - game boy
gba - game boy advance
gbc - game boy color
gc - gamecube
wii
pc
sega32x
segacd
dreamcast
gamegear
genesis - sega genesis
mastersystem - sega master system
megadrive - sega megadrive
saturn - sega saturn
psx
ps2
psp - playstation portable
snes - super nintendo entertainment system
pcengine - turbografx-16/pcengine
wonderswan
wonderswancolor
zxspectrum

some of those systems on there are much more performance heavy then N64 and if you are looking for a solution that is small and can run all of those it will probably require that it have a built in GPU so it isn't going to be cheap I think you are going to be hard pressed finding what you want at a good price.

PS2 Dreamcast Saturn 3DS possible Wii and Gamecube basically if you want cheap your going to have to use integrated Intel graphics and those systems are going to struggle on it. Even for PS1 you probably will have to use ePSXe instead of the Mednafen PS core.

https://www.amazon.com/VM65N-G063Z-VivoMini-i5-7200U-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B06WV7N9FX/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06WV7N9FX&pd_rd_r=6DZ597VMQDAC42KTHVP4&pd_rd_w=2aCCG&pd_rd_wg=JGwqr&psc=1&refRID=6DZ597VMQDAC42KTHVP4

But I have no clue if this is more than your willing to spend or what type or performance you will get with a mobile gpu either but I love Asus products

well I just saw a video of the Ryzen 2220G in action and I'm very impressed now it isn't as small as one of these mini computers but its a small board and its a good price. Like I said I don't know how small you need if you have room to mount a mini itx and a PSU ETAPrime built one for I think 340 dollars he said in his video you should definitely check that out

• 4 weeks later...