LaunchBox Community Forums

Intel NUC for cabinet

DerHof2007

I will be upgrading my AMD A8-7650K Processor for the following:

• ASUS Prime A320M-K AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI VGA M.2 Micro-ATX A320 Motherboard
  • AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

3 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

I will be upgrading my AMD A8-7650K Processor for the following:

• ASUS Prime A320M-K AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI VGA M.2 Micro-ATX A320 Motherboard
  • AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Cool!!

I decided I wanted to try out the NUC. I got the i7 with 8GB and 2TB HDD.
It came yesterday. Spent about 3 hours screwing around with it last night learning how to disable and uninstall the BS that MS tries to shove down our throats.

Having to week through the  crappy and or outdated videos on youtube to find the good ones or this could have been much quicker. Research was the bulk of it... I'd say now that I know what to do I could probably clean a new system like this in 10 minutes.
Even though this thing will most likely never see the internet I still wanted this junk off of here.
Going through settings and deleting all the telemetry/spying stuff is straight forward enough and basically common sense.
The stuff that took more work was completely disabling and deleting things like Cortana, One Drive, and forced apps like X-Box!!! Seriously baffles me that you simply can't delete something like X-box... I don't own one and never will... why force this on me? Anyway... its gone. This NUC didn't have too much bloatware like I imagine a desktop or laptop probably comes with.

Transferred my approx. 180 gig of emulation files. Ran a quick game or two just to see it work. So far so good.... but just using the keyboard. Didn't hook up my control panel yet.

One thing I didn't think about when I ordered this NUC... I have a couple boards in my pc that supply external molex connectors to supply 5v and 12v power to cabinet fans, and lighting for all of my controls.
I'm going to have to hook up a separate external power supply for this that will automatically come on with a relay when I power on the NUC. Fortunately I had a brand one laying around from back in the days when I built and sold control panels. Hopefully I'll get this running full power in the next few weeks and I'll post a video in the collections and builds forum.

I took some notes and stuff on the W10 cleansing so if anyone is interested let me know.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Uninstall Xbox:

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Yes sir... I learned what Powershell was last night :-)
I used it for a few things but it can't uninstall things like Cortana and One Drive.

1 minute ago, NJDave71 said:

When I get round to it and install MS WIN 10 I will also need to go through the MS BS List of Must Remove......

Yeah, this is my first real experience with it. I said I'd never do it... but I figure since it wont be online and LB is supposed to be better with it....
I'd really like to try Linux one day... Another project perhaps in the near future.

Just a heads up you say your computer will never see the internet I assume you won't be updating either Windows or LB. But if you do intend to run updates for LB you will have to keep in mind Jason occasionally switches the application to run on the newest version of .Net and MS has been known to stop .Net updates to older Windows 10 systems that don't stay up to date and at that point LB would break.

Create a New User Account (windows 10)

1.  Press Window Key and the letter S to bring up windows Search
2.  Type User Accounts and select Settings
3.  select manage another account
4.  Add a new user in PC setting
5.  Add someone else to this PC
6.  I don't have this persons sign-in information
7.  Add user without a Microsoft Account
8.  Create the user and leave the password blank if you want to just auto sign in
9.  click and follow the on screen instrunctions

Windows Auto Login to BigBox / Create a New windows account for this 
* Warning we are about to modify the registry and it's only for this user account
1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell
e.g C:\Launchbox\bigbox.exe.
4) log out and log back in

My Computer is a Dedicate Arcade and it works great.  

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Just a heads up you say your computer will never see the internet I assume you won't be updating either Windows or LB. But if you do intend to run updates for LB you will have to keep in mind Jason occasionally switches the application to run on the newest version of .Net and MS has been known to stop .Net updates to older Windows 10 systems that don't stay up to date and at that point LB would break.

I'll keep that in mind. I figured I'd update LB on my main pc and sync the files with an external drive... If necessary I suppose I'll have to update if necessary on occasion then simply take offline again. Worst part about this is I know I'll have to redo much of what I did last night each time.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Unfortunately Cortana cannot be removed but check this site for instructions for OneDrive https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/

I have a feeling you know more about Win10 than me but I'm 99% certain I deleted it. I assure you its not showing up in my task manager and I deleted the folder in the systemapps directory.
And I've already eliminated OneDrive as well... including the icon in Explorer.

10 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

Create a New User Account (windows 10)

1.  Press Window Key and the letter S to bring up windows Search
2.  Type User Accounts and select Settings
3.  select manage another account
4.  Add a new user in PC setting
5.  Add someone else to this PC
6.  I don't have this persons sign-in information
7.  Add user without a Microsoft Account
8.  Create the user and leave the password blank if you want to just auto sign in
9.  click and follow the on screen instrunctions

Windows Auto Login to BigBox / Create a New windows account for this 
* Warning we are about to modify the registry and it's only for this user account
1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell
e.g C:\Launchbox\bigbox.exe.
4) log out and log back in

My Computer is a Dedicate Arcade and it works great.  

So what is this... does this autolaunch BigBox on startup?

7 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

Yes.   this is done on my dedicated arcade.   So, I have two accounts.   One allows me to just do general maintenance / admin access and the other user just launches bigbox on startup

Haha... I'd have to re-enable Cortana to do that first step. Killing Cortana kills your ability to use the search feature! But it can be done in settings.

Edited by DerHof2007

Hmmm..... well that certainly screwed some things up.
Didn't even do the second half... simply added a user.

I guess with the new user it wanted to add all the features that I had previously deleted.
I can no longer access anything in the start menu with the new user or the original one.

Not sure if there is a way out of this or not.... may have to do a restore.
Heading out... I'll have to look at it later.

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

If someone knows how to get rid of Cortana i'd love to hear about it and how to do it, cause dat bitch need to go :D

All I did was open task manager.
Right click Cortana and click open location. Leave task manager open.
In that directory find the folder with Cortana in the name.
Right click it and select rename. It will probably say you need administrator privileges. Click the button for that. Then it is still going to tell you that you can't rename it.
Back in task manager right click Cortana and end task.
Quickly go back to Explorer and rename folder.... I simply added a z to the end.

That is it. Cortana wont be able to restart.
You can even delete the folder completely if you want.
You'll know its working because your search bar at the bottom will no longer function.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>damn... perhaps this isn't that simple. The complaint about my start menu not working about 3 posts ago apparently wasn't because I added a user... it had to do with the Cortana thing.
I renamed the folder back to the original name and all my problems went away. Basically it seems if you do the rename trick this problem happens after a reboot.
This video here does what I did but with extra steps beforehand... perhaps they are needed. I'm done for the night .... maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

Edited by DerHof2007
Incorrect information