LaunchBox Community Forums

State of Xbox emulation

Timoboy

Hi guys.

for about a year now im activly bussy with emulation: building my collection and adding systems. a few of my favorite systems are the PlayStation. i have a vast collection of all the currently available PlayStation platforms. with ps3 becoming the next upcoming thing i wondered about its rival the xbox.

What is the state on those systems. i noticed there isnt much to find sofar. Is that because out hardware hasnt become strong enough yet or is it somesort of legal issue with Microsoft.

I like to know more about this. and if im wrong and there is indeed already xbox emulation out there i like to know what emulator(s) are the best.

Edited by Timoboy

Why is it so poor then is it the way how the system originally was build or something else. because if we can emulate ps3 in the not so distant future then how does it come that xbox is impossible to get an decent emulation of.

Well to be fair PS3 emulation isn't that great yet either, and even PS2 is hit and miss. It's just difficult to replicate how some systems work on PC hardware, the OG XBOX for example used a custom built NVidia GPU and there is no documentation out there for it, so its very difficult to reverse engineer something you know nothing about.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Well to be fair PS3 emulation isn't that great yet either, and even PS2 is hit and miss. It's just difficult to replicate how some systems work on PC hardware, the OG XBOX for example used a custom built NVidia GPU and there is no documentation out there for it, so its very difficult to reverse engineer something you know nothing about.

Thats true ps3 emulation is still in its early days, i also experience some minor issues with the ps2 emulation . but i assume that those systems also have custom parts in them and still people managed to somehow working. But only time will tell meaby someday in the future someone comes with a good xbox emulator

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I've read some people theorize that since a huge portion of the OG Xbox's library is on PC already there is little interest in developing emulators for it but don't know how true that is.

This would be my guess too.