LaunchBox Community Forums

Serious Launchbox crash

Bonoscot

Everytime i go to start BigBox i get the following error.

(Inner Exception)

The component cannot be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x88982F50)

App:     Big Box
Version: 8.2
Type:    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Site:    
Source:  

(Outer Exception)

No imaging component suitable to complete this operation was found.

App:     Big Box
Version: 8.2
Type:    System.NotSupportedException
Site:    System.Windows.Media.SafeMILHandle SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Guid ByRef, Boolean ByRef, System.IO.Stream ByRef, System.IO.UnmanagedMemoryStream ByRef, Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle ByRef)
Source:  PresentationCore

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, Guid& clsId, Boolean& isOriginalWritable, Stream& uriStream, UnmanagedMemoryStream& unmanagedMemoryStream, SafeFileHandle& safeFilehandle)
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder..ctor(Uri bitmapUri, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, Guid expectedClsId)
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.PngBitmapDecoder..ctor(Uri bitmapUri, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption)
   at (Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Controls.CoverFlow.ThumbnailManager.Worker(Object unused)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Recent Log:

23:56:59 Music.Resume Start
   23:56:59 Music.Pause Start
   23:56:59 Music.Resume Start
   23:57:00 Exception

I have restarted comp,updated drivers etc.....the last thing i done was attempt to download platform playlist themes videos...to which it stopped half way through and this error started.

Now i cant run BB at all......Launchbox seems to run fine.

I even downloaded another  fresh install of Launchbox and dragged all the files into it and still i get this error.....on top of that i now cant start any game as it states "the emulator specified for that game no longer exists"....all games,all platforms.

WTF.....months of work here...even noticed artwork is now missing as well.

Anything on this

No idea here really, but what if you try using an older backup copy of BigBoxSettings.xml from you Launchbox\Backups folder and replace the one in your Launchbox\Data folder? Then try to start BB.

If you install a totally clean LB into a brand new folder and not drag in any of your other files, does BB launch ok?

I guess @Jason Carr would have a much better idea based on your crash data.

Hmm, it seems like there's a corrupted image file in there somewhere that's wreaking havoc; either that or something in the .NET framework has gotten corrupted. The error is happening when trying to load a PNG image, from what I can tell. Though that doesn't explain data errors like missing emulators. Generally, if there's more than one thing going wrong it's a strong sign that there's some kind of issue with the operating system or the hardware, though I can't say for sure. I would run chkdsk to make sure you don't have any file system errors. Do you have any backups?

• 4 years later...

I’ve recently come across this error, having had my PC unceremoniously blue screen itself midway through a sizeable ROM import.

Whilst the solution of reimporting a game’s media works, sadly it’s not so simple when you have widespread media corruption over many games.

It seems the only fix is to manually edit every single affected game one by one, removing all images and then downloading them again.

Curiously, any multi-file tools (which would greatly simplify things) do not fix this. Tools -> Download -> Update Metadata and Media for Selected Games doesn’t resolve the issue (even with Yes, Download and Replace All Existing Metadata and Media enabled). Likewise, re-importing the affected ROMs does not fix the problem either (even after deleting the previous corrupted media version of the games).

I wonder if the multi-file media downloaders mentioned above are not removing or clearing the cache for the previous files somehow (i.e. not doing what Remove All Images in Edit Game -> Media -> Images does)?

I really hope this can be resolved otherwise it’s going to be a very long and tedious year for me :(

47 minutes ago, Benjc said:

I’ve recently come across this error, having had my PC unceremoniously blue screen itself midway through a sizeable ROM import.

Whilst the solution of reimporting a game’s media works, sadly it’s not so simple when you have widespread media corruption over many games.

It seems the only fix is to manually edit every single affected game one by one, removing all images and then downloading them again.

Curiously, any multi-file tools (which would greatly simplify things) do not fix this. Tools -> Download -> Update Metadata and Media for Selected Games doesn’t resolve the issue (even with Yes, Download and Replace All Existing Metadata and Media enabled). Likewise, re-importing the affected ROMs does not fix the problem either (even after deleting the previous corrupted media version of the games).

I wonder if the multi-file media downloaders mentioned above are not removing or clearing the cache for the previous files somehow (i.e. not doing what Remove All Images in Edit Game -> Media -> Images does)?

I really hope this can be resolved otherwise it’s going to be a very long and tedious year for me :(

@Benjc Assuming it's a certain platform that is affected (or I guess everything for that matter), you can just delete the media folders for that platform (or all of them). Just make sure you do it while LaunchBox is closed. For example, delete the LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo 64 folder. This will remove all images for Nintendo 64. You can also delete the image cache as well by deleting the LaunchBox\Images\Cache-LB folder. You'll need to either do that, or refresh images in the app.

Yes, that sorts it alright 😊

I can also see that when I Download and Replace All Media (via Tools -> Download -> Update Metadata…) the image from the failed import is not deleted for some reason (all other associated images are removed). So there’s a weird mismatch in that LB sees and attempts to use the broken media in general but does not see/ attempt to delete it when running Update Metadata… 😕

Is this worth looking into do you think? I’m sorted now but this could equally confuse others in the future.

Thanks for the help anyway!