LaunchBox Community Forums

LB Retroarch Netplay issues

kiddanplay

Hey everyone, me and my step bro are trying to utilize Netplay in retroarch and are having one hell of a time. 

We have tried man in the middle, i have tried to host and given him my IP (from whatsmyip) and he can not join. I have tried using a VPN and given him the IP and he can not join. He has tried to host and done the same and i can not join. BUT if we have a publicly viewable game in standalone retroarch then i am able to connect and play when i join his game and he can connect and play when i start a game as a host. So we have the functionality and it is working in standalone Retroarch but for some reason when trying to utilize direct IP of the other person either through LB or BB or Retroarch we can not connect directly to each other. 

Any ideas? really racking my brain on this. Thought my IP might be blocking something so we tried the VPN but neither of us can figure out exactly why we cant connect directly as it is preventing us from using LB or BB the way we would like to. 

Thanks everyone

Just now, neil9000 said:

Are you both using the exact same rom file?

Yes, We are using Super mario kart. I sent him my copy of the ROM and he deleted his other and reupped to LB  to ensure we were on the same one. We are both on RA 1.7.2 both on updated SNES9X Cores as well

ok now im really weirded out... my step bro did a port forward and it worked we are able to connect directly through LB but now i have NO controls...which is weird...when we play in RA i have controls for everything but once we connected i lost them...once we disconnected i have them back...LOL 

I'm not sure but I don't think Mame has netplay support, if I remember correctly it doesn't have save state support and netplay requires that for it to work.

FBA has netplay support so you should use that for arcade netplay, was playing some 3 player TMNT with it last night with some buddies.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

I'm not sure but I don't think Mame has netplay support, if I remember correctly it doesn't have save state support and netplay requires that for it to work.

FBA has netplay support so you should use that for arcade netplay, was playing some 3 player TMNT with it last night with some buddies.

Nice, What is the game support like in terms of number of games supported? Does it support CHD required games? How about lag...Pretty laggy?

FBA is pretty good, it supports quite a lot of games but of course not as many as Mame. Yeah it supports games that would normally require CHDs like in Mame but you don't need them, I use it to play the Capcom CPS3 without the CHD files. Lag is dependent upon internet connection.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

FBA is pretty good, it supports quite a lot of games but of course not as many as Mame. Yeah it supports games that would normally require CHDs like in Mame but you don't need them, I use it to play the Capcom CPS3 without the CHD files. Lag is dependent upon internet connection.

makes sense... so i was just looking at it. After we get this set up do we have to use it standalone as an emulator and start the netplay independently outside of launchbox/bigbox or does it integrate into LB/BB?

Yeah, i watched this video and it worked great to get my stuff all set up but im trying to see the correlation between this video and FBA in conjunction with what i asked above. If i use FBA do i have to initialize the netplay portion outside of LB/BB and in the emulator itself since it is not retroarch? or after i link the emulator to my mame catalog will those host/join sections be overridden and allow FBA to make the netplay connection.