LaunchBox Community Forums

Crash on start

Xirvet

Simply as the title says, I get a crash when I try to start Launchbox, I get this error text

(Inner Exception)

(Inner Exception)

Root element is missing.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.2
Type:    System.Xml.XmlException
Site:    Void Throw(System.Exception)
Source:  System.Xml

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderConfig.Read4_SteamLauncherConfig()

(Outer Exception)

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)
Source:  System.Xml

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
   at SteamLauncher.Settings.Config.Load()
   at SteamLauncher.LaunchViaSteamMenuItem..ctor()

(Outer Exception)

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Type:    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Site:    System.Object CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.<>c__68`1.<LoadPlugins>b__68_0(Type type)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins[T](IEnumerable`1 assemblies, ConcurrentDictionary`2& plugins)
   at (String , Form )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins(String folderPath, Form splashForm)
   at (String[] )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

1:30:14 AM Exception

9 hours ago, dragon57 said:

It appears your System.xml is corrupt. Have you checked the Backups directory to see if you have a recent backup of system.xml? If so, replace the system.xml file with one of the backups and try to restart launchbox.

I have everything but system.xml in my backups, what do I do?

Probably the quickest, and safest thing to do is just install Launchbox to a different directory, then bring the system.xml from the 2nd installation back to your original installation location. If you are curious what was corrupted in the system.xml, you could edit the old and new, then compare them. If you have a utility like WinMerge installed, it will compare the files for you and show you the differences.

You can actually delete the system.xml and then open LB and it will create a new one. Do you get an error message other than what you posted that says a line number where the error is. If you want to post the system.xml here I will look at and see if I can find the issue.

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

You can actually delete the system.xml and then open LB and it will create a new one. Do you get an error message other than what you posted that says a line number where the error is. If you want to post the system.xml here I will look at and see if I can find the issue.

I can't actually find system.xml in my install folder and I still get that error when I boot

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Well I see that in the error message try removing it and see if it stops crashing

Just now, Jason Carr said:

There is no System.Xml file used by LaunchBox, so that's why it's not there. ;)

Looking at the error messages, it does look to be caused by the SteamLauncher plugin.

Yep can confirm, removed it and launched no issue, dunno why all of a sudden it stopped working