Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

New Box View Navigation Test


Grila
 Share

Recommended Posts

BackStory

When I created my Switch Theme, the BoxesGamesView was the perfect choice for the navigation since it was a near identical match to how the actual Switch GUI works. Unfortunately, there is no such view for platforms or playlists in BigBox, so I had to hack my way around it using the normal wheel. The results were ok, but deep down my OCD has always been disturbed by it and it got broke quite easily by DPI and resolution changes.

Now that we have the plugin system, I decided to make a "BoxesGamesView" that can be used for the platforms/playlists. I even took it a step further, modifying the ItemTemplate to include additional details and adding the ability to zoom the selected item. The default, or non-existent, image can be set by the end user to fit their needs. The styling (font/colors/spacing/etc.) is pulled directly from the already existing BoxListBoxStyle and BoxListBoxItemStyle files in your theme directory.

 

This thing is in its infancy right now and I still have a lot to do. Here are some of the things on my shortlist:

  • Adding support for game views to have a coherent visual representation when navigating from platforms/playlists => games
  • Adding the "Jump To" index currently found in the default BigBox game views (the alphabet menu that shows when pressing left/right)
  • Add properties for customizing what text is shown, the selected zoom feature, any other things that may pop into my head
  • Add the ListBox Scroll Center logic from my previous plugin
Edited by Grila
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, echofive said:

Have you seen the attract-mode theme in the works that is kind of like this? May be some good inspiration. Let me see if I can find it.

Yes I have actually and it looks awesome. Too bad it seems abandoned at the moment. 

Edit

Actually I see Oomek is back working on it. 

Edited by Grila
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Grila said:

Yes I have actually and it looks awesome. Too bad it seems abandoned at the moment. 

Yeah it did look awesome. Almost tried out attract mode for a second. He did post an update a week or so ago with some changes.  I need to spend the time and figure out the .xml stuff because there is some really cool things we can do in this (as you've demonstrated).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cookz718 said:

how's it coming along ? can't wait till you release this ! 

It's coming along. Got the game view added now I'm just exposing some user-settable properties for customization. 

Unfortunately I leave for vacation again tomorrow and won't be back until the 25th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Grila said:

It's coming along. Got the game view added now I'm just exposing some user-settable properties for customization. 

Unfortunately I leave for vacation again tomorrow and won't be back until the 25th.

hahaha damn, well enjoy your vacation ! hopefully when you come back you can release it ! dying to add it to the current theme im using (which is your Switch Theme)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 9:07 AM, Grila said:

BackStory

When I created my Switch Theme, the BoxesGamesView was the perfect choice for the navigation since it was a near identical match to how the actual Switch GUI works. Unfortunately, there is no such view for platforms or playlists in BigBox, so I had to hack my way around it using the normal wheel. The results were ok, but deep down my OCD has always been disturbed by it and it got broke quite easily by DPI and resolution changes.

Now that we have the plugin system, I decided to make a "BoxesGamesView" that can be used for the platforms/playlists. I even took it a step further, modifying the ItemTemplate to include additional details and adding the ability to zoom the selected item. The default, or non-existent, image can be set by the end user to fit their needs. The styling (font/colors/spacing/etc.) is pulled directly from the already existing BoxListBoxStyle and BoxListBoxItemStyle files in your theme directory.

 

This thing is in its infancy right now and I still have a lot to do. Here are some of the things on my shortlist:

  • Adding support for game views to have a coherent visual representation when navigating from platforms/playlists => games
  • Adding the "Jump To" index currently found in the default BigBox game views (the alphabet menu that shows when pressing left/right)
  • Add properties for customizing what text is shown, the selected zoom feature, any other things that may pop into my head
  • Add the ListBox Scroll Center logic from my previous plugin

Soo... Any Updates on this ? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope, not yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to officially package this one up on this site, I may just throw it on GitHub and make it available that way. The various reasons are outlined in another thread so I won't get into them here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Grila said:

Nope, not yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to officially package this one up on this site, I may just throw it on GitHub and make it available that way. The various reasons are outlined in another thread so I won't get into them here.

ahhh :( that sucks.. i never understand how to use that site........ well when finished would u atleast let us know ? im very noob at these things so i only know how to copy & paste lol GitHub in the other hand is extremely confusing to use for me atleast but i can understand if its something you don't want to post here.. which.. sucks lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...