LaunchBox Community Forums

REAL 3D box view

Retrofrogg

Deciding which media format is the best one to display in LB is tricky. For games which had boxes, I think that the 3D box image is probably the best. The 2D box image is OK but there is nothing to differentiate it from being like a flyer or a flat image. The 3D box image makes it clear that it is a box and is therefore a bit more true to the original media.

What would be great however is if LB could implement a "true" 3D box ability - by this I mean a rendered 3D box which can be manually rotated and moved just like a real box. That would really give an amazing impression of the original media and I can't imagine it getting any better than that other than by having the physical media itself.

Keen to hear others' thoughts on this feature. @Jason Carr I wonder if this is something that you have thought about?

Edited by Dan
  • Like 3

A 3D engine has been discussed before but i beleive the idea was dropped. In my opinion it would be too resource intensive, i have a reasonble rig so wouldnt affect me, but others are running on relatively weak hardware and it wouldnt run a 3D engine too well im guessing. We have people at the moment who complain about performance so raising the required specs is probably not a good idea. And probably from a business stance it makes sense to cater to the lowest spec you can to make everyone a potential customer. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply neil9000. I completely understand the issue of resource intensity. However, one word in reply - option! This could be an option in LB so that those with the necessary resource (and it may not work out as that much required, who knows) would be able to benefit from such a great feature! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Thanks for your reply neil9000. I completely understand the issue of resource intensity. However, one word in reply - option! This could be an option in LB so that those with the necessary resource (and it may not work out as that much required, who knows) would be able to benefit from such a great feature! 

Oh I agree to a certain extent options are always good. However in this case to actually program something like you want is certainly not a easy task at all and would take resources away from Launchbox/Bigbox development. You need to remember that unbroken software is not a Microsoft like size company, its really a one man band for the most part coding wise, and Jason goes were the users want, hence the semi regular polls to see what is most important to the community in regards to what features should be implemented and the priority for them.

As I say I agree in principal with what you are requesting and I think a lot of people could possibly like and use that feature, but it would take away from development of much more highly requested features and that would likely piss off more users than it pleases at the end of the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Just chiming in to say that 3D boxes are still something I would like to do at some point. :)

That is great news, being able to rotate an old game case and read the back would be a massive achievement. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action one day, glad it's still on the table

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...