LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box in a Big Box (htpc)

bmonomad

Finally finished, but grossly underestimated how long it would take to hand pick games, get multiple times of artwork to match up to the correct file names, organize genres, playlists, etc.  Goal was to get something a little easier on the eyes since it is functioning as a PC for many things, as well as good enough to run on a 4k tv nicely.

Make some quick videos displaying a slightly modified Unified theme, utilizing various artwork from generous contributors here and across other sites.  Have some other videos I uploaded that show other views of the theme.

A few pics of work done:

20170819_184714.thumb.jpg.da7a9cd6d98bab8e1261f844c20513f6.jpg20170826_201803.thumb.jpg.36fb4a1f0ac1c5a7213f068baafc249e.jpg784973434_BoxSideProfile.thumb.png.fd7e6f58ac48c098957b400027b0694c.png704321131_BoxBackCorner3.thumb.png.cda6180cea28d41819cdc4f7be8b62ac.png

Specs:  Case: Fractal Design Node 804. Asus H110i-Plus - ITX board.  i5 6600k.  Geforce GTX 960 4gb - low profile.  8gb DDR4.  G650M PSU.  3 front intakes, 3 exhaust fans.  3 3.5' 3tb hd's, 1 500gb 2.5

Running on '43 4k, with 2 DS4 controllers that can be played wired or wireless.

Temperatures stay around 23c.

Library Setup:

About 7200 games total.  Every system was manually filtered down to contain only games that were generally 60% or higher rating on multiple sources.  There are only one version of every game, meaning that there is no multiple regions or multiple platforms of the same game. Usually resorted to a quick search to see which was considered the best version of said game.  I also got all translations and hacks of games that were within that rating criteria.  All games have a genre, series, m/splayer, etc; only thing missing is that not close to all are in the LB database.

Every game in my library from the ps1 generation and newer is tested as working, including PC.  All ps2 games have appropriate config's setup, which was incredibly time consuming as about 80% of games for it required some sort of tweak. 

Most of the setup issues come from simply controller's being inconsistent with various emulators, like retroarch, dolphin, etc.  DS4's will connect at 2 different xinput's, + another 2 more if you want it to recognize wired.  Retroarch was a pain at dealing with them.

Thanks to contributions from various people here, bigbox looks great.

edit: theme mod per request. designed for 4k.

Unified_mod.zip

Edited by bmonomad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kondorito said:

Great work! 

Mind if I ask you how did you modified the games bottom bar, to show play mode and rating as controllers images and stars? Really digging that. 

Thanks.

Go into the unified theme views section.  The wheelgamesview's represent each view style. I'm no coder, but Cid's code was very clean and easy to see which section does what. Commented-out the fade aspect. Everything under 'lower glassbar' is in that lower area.  Fool around with that and you'll probably figure it out. Otherwise will send you those few files later this week

14 minutes ago, Suhrvivor said:

I'm digging your mods of the lower glassbar, I replaced the lower bar's transparent background to a less invasive gradient in my setup.

Could you share your modded files, please? With my mod and yours merged Unified would look a lot better.

K quickly uploaded everything for you and kondorito in the bottom of original post. alignment may be a bit off for you as it's made for my tv fyi.  test the favorites/completed logos.

mind sharing your glassbar background?

Edited by bmonomad
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bmonomad said:

K quickly uploaded everything for you and kondorito in the bottom of original post. alignment may be a bit off for you as it's made for my tv fyi.  test the favorites/completed logos.

mind sharing your glassbar background?

Sure:

Unified gradient lower bar mod by suhrvivor .zip

Install by extracting inside Launchbox, you might want to backup your modded views first, otherwise you'll lose your changes.

Here's how the gradient looks in the worst case scenario (white background):

2067955836_2018-06-21(1).thumb.png.8fc782fb734436942dd443a30488dcca.png2018-06-21.thumb.png.0f90e09c7c8ed9a2185703ce4004812c.png

• Like 1