LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow slowdown.

Lukeyboy67

I recently transferred my LB from my SSD to a external HDD due to space issues. I knew access times would be a bit slower just not this slow! Is there any way I can force LB to cache all my images into memory as it loads/runs? I have 16gb onboard so space wouldn't be a issue. Cheers :)

Edited by Lukeyboy67

There is no built in way to do this. If you don't mind digging in and doing some non-standard hacks, you can create a ram disk that only houses the cache directory. This isn't for the feint of heart though. It is doable, and does work. This route would be unsupported.

Are you using the original LaunchBox, or the new LaunchBox Next? Next has a new cache mechanism that works differently than the old, but if disk speed is your main issue, I don't think Next would change your results much.

If you would like to pursue this avenue and need any help, let me know and I can write up something for you.

2 minutes ago, Lukeyboy67 said:

That looks great! cheers :)

If you do decide to do this remember that the next cache is named differently to the normal cache (that tutorial was written before next released). I just created a folder called Launchbox Cache on my desktop and added both folders to it like in this image.

Screenshot (191).png