LaunchBox Community Forums

Error message on first BigBox try

SteveM

I'm new to LB.  I've got emulators and games set up for multiple systems, all working fine through LB.  I upgraded to Premium license, located .xml file in LB folder.  When I click the Big Box Mode button at top right I get the following error:

I'm on Win7, LB 8.3

Error.jpg

Unfortunately this is not a error i have ever seen before so i have no idea as to the cause or solution to it. I have passed this thread onto @Jason Carr so hopefully he can take a look at it and see if he can figure out what is going on.

This is very unfortunate that this is your first experience after purchasing a license and we can only appologise for that, as i say its not a error i have ever seen before so i really dont know what it is in relation to. Does this only happen when loading Bigbox?

Yes.  I've been working with LB, Retroarch and several other emulators for the past few days to get things set up with no issues.  As soon as I tried to load BB I received this message.  I did have all programs on a separate HDD to allow moving to a different computer (arcade cab) later.  When I tried plugging into a different computer, BB seemed to open fine.  I then brought it back to my main computer and I was able to get a little further - the BB frontend would load but without any wheel art and within about a minute it crashed again.  Frustrating! 

1 minute ago, SteveM said:

Yes.  I've been working with LB, Retroarch and several other emulators for the past few days to get things set up with no issues.  As soon as I tried to load BB I received this message.  I did have all programs on a separate HDD to allow moving to a different computer (arcade cab) later.  When I tried plugging into a different computer, BB seemed to open fine.  I then brought it back to my main computer and I was able to get a little further - the BB frontend would load but without any wheel art and within about a minute it crashed again.  Frustrating! 

These were the errors I received.

BB Error.jpg

1 minute ago, SteveM said:

Hmm, well if it worked on another PC then that would lead me to believe that its something specific to the system you are currently running it on, because if the install was broken it wouldnt work on any PC. The only thing i would suggest at the moment is make sure your GPU drivers are up to date as well as making sure you have the latest version of Windows as well as .NET and Direct X installed.

That error looks like its a theme issue, im guessing you are using the default theme as you cant really get into Bigbox to change anything. I would suggest going to Launchbox/Themes folder and deleting the 2 default themes, they will be re created when you start Bigbox and see if that lets you in.

Ok.  So I deleted the default themes.  And was able to get into BB.  Things looked normal (I was able to see the platforms etc).  When I clicked on one of the platforms...

BTW - Graphics drivers are up to date, I installed the latest .Net and DirectX.

BB Error 2.jpg

@SteveM I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Those errors aren't any I've really seen before, so I'm guessing it's something like a corrupted .NET installation, or bad drivers, or something odd like that. So sorry that I don't have any better solution. If you're up for it, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET framework and DirectX, or even Windows if that's an option. I'm guessing that would fix it, but unfortunately I can't be certain. If you'd rather have a refund, I'm more than happy to help with that as well. It looks to be either a Microsoft bug or a corrupt installation though, so there's probably not a lot I can do.

Tried running the fix from MS, still nothing.  I also installed K-lite codec and cleaned up all other codec issues.  Nothing.  BB loads up but doesn't display any graphics (wheel art, logos, background, etc.) It's just a blank screen with the game/platform list no matter what theme I try.  When I select a platform then I get another critical error and shutdown.

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

Tried running the fix from MS, still nothing.  I also installed K-lite codec and cleaned up all other codec issues.  Nothing.  BB loads up but doesn't display any graphics (wheel art, logos, background, etc.) It's just a blank screen with the game/platform list no matter what theme I try.  When I select a platform then I get another critical error and shutdown.

Based on that error, it looks like Big Box/.NET are unable to decode any PNG image files, which I can imagine is going to really screw everything up.

I did some Googling and I've found a few related links/discussions:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f8d208a8-88be-4d8a-a6ba-c7fe543c2614/except-duing-install-of-vs-2012-for-desktop?forum=vssetup

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/48f64c33-4183-4593-9857-d44812a4fc95/launchpad-and-dashboard-will-not-start-on-one-pc?forum=whs2011

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5985

https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/1312

https://www.devexpress.com/Support/Center/Question/Details/Q283067/bitmapdecoder-setupdecoderfromuriorstream-exception-when-loading-dxmap

I only skimmed them but I haven't found a quick or easy solution within them, unfortunately. The only thing I've found is stuff like reinstalling Windows to fix the issue.