LaunchBox Community Forums

cannot launch mame roms within launch/big box

infidelity

Hi everyone, new member. I've been setting up my roms and emulators for my various systems, atari 2600, NES, GameBoy, etc. These 3 systems are using retroarch cores. The systems listed, all display the roms, their artwork, and run the correct retroarch core from either launch/big box.

I'm using MAME 0.199, I have the correct path loaded for the .exe. I have the correct rom path loaded as well. The import obtained all the roms and artwork. When I try to launch any arcade game within launch/big box, I get the classic MAME error that shows you are missing every single file or chd for whatever game you just tried to run.

I even went as far as deleting mame and it's roms from launch box, and restarted again. I still get the same result... The MAME 0.199 exe I have, works perfectly fine by itself, and loads and runs all the 0.199 roms I have fine. I've wasted so much time today on this, can someone please shed some light on this? It's frustrating since I'm able to do everything correctly for the other emulators. Thank you!

To be perfectly honest i'm not sure, I think Mame generates its mame.ini file in the ini folder by default but I always manually generate a mame.ini file manually with mame64.exe -cc as the very first step whenever I do a new Mame install which generates the ini file in the main folder. I even put that in my Mame for Noobs guide.

I usually generate mine by going into the config options and saving current setting in the UI and I believe it generates it in the root folder but I have just been copying my config over to new builds for so long I can't be 100% sure on that.

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I usually generate mine by going into the config options and saving current setting in the UI and I believe it generates it in the root folder but I have just been copying my config over to new builds for so long I can't be 100% sure on that.

So I've got another odd issue. This concerns Gambatte. My Game Boy Color roms are imported and I can run them from launch box, but my Game Boy roms that I imported, I'm unable to run? The play count keeps going ul, but nothing is loaded when I try to launch the rom?

I checked the associated platforms for retroarch. I have the core file for "Nintendo Game Boy Color" which is gambatte. But within the "Associated Platform" column, there is no listing for "Nintendo Game Boy"

So I'm still stuck with getting gambatte to run Game Boy...

1 minute ago, infidelity said:

I just want to make sure I'm able to use the gambatte core for both GB, and GBC?

Yes, you can.

1 minute ago, infidelity said:

What name exactly should I name it? The way it appears in my "platforms" section column off to the left?

Yes, it's actually critical you do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this, I'm back reading and the latest MAME does not work when the roms are on another hard disk. The ini solution works. Been searching for solution. 0.617 works without these but I want to use the latest version. Thank you again.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2018 at 6:34 PM, Lordmonkus said:

You can add your own platform, just go to the bottom of the list and click twice in an empty box and type in the name, make sure it's named exactly like how you have it in LB.

This just made a world of difference for me. Was struggling to launch my Game Boy game until I read this. Thank you!