LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob with questions about Launchbox and emumovie premium

Jade Aislin

I'm new to LaunchBox and I am trying to determine whether it is right for me.  I had a couple questions about features and how to do things.

1. Is it possible to rearrange the information on the details page?  I prefer to have series near the title and don't care as much about the publisher.

2. In a series, can I indicate what number in the series a game is?  I have a number of games that do not indicate where they lay in the title, even though the series follows a chronological order.  It's nice to know that a game is in a series.  However, without knowing whether the game is 1st or 5th in the series, I have no idea which game to play.

I tried looking at the custom fields feature, but without buying the premium I can't see if it will work for me.

3. Is there a way to set up filters by alphabet?

For example, if I want to play Portal, I select the windows platform, sort by title, and scroll through all my games to find it.  This is time consuming as I have a bunch of games.  Being able to select a platform and then filter for only the games starting with P would make it easier.  The same problem occurs with other filters, like genre.  I have a lot of adventure games and trying to find one game is annoying.

4. If I used big box, would I be able to see the details and posibily videos when looking at the game?

5. Is LaunchBox and emumovie premium worth it if I am only using LaunchBox for windows games from different stores?

Thanks for your time and answering all my questions.

Jade Aislin

welcome to Launchbox.

01. do you mean details page in Launchbox or in Big Box? in Launchbox Detail Screen (the Sidebar) you can configure which of the given fields should be shown and which one not. there are also Fields for Series. in BigBox it depends on the Theme you would use.

02. I assume not. But you can use a sort field, so you can beside the name of the game use a sort Titel like the Game Resident Evil: Code Veronica will sort in my playlist as Resident Evil 2000, to fit the chronology

03. you can jump directly to a specific letter by pressing that letter on you keyboard. in BB you have a slider to jump directly to the wished letter

04. it is possible, depending on the artworks and the theme you want to use. some themes also have the wished information without going into the detail screen.

05. if you want to use it on a big screen only with your joypad, I recommend big box. emu movies is very helpful to get best quality artworks and movies for most of the games (not all).

regards,

Chris

1 hour ago, Jade Aislin said:

I'm new to LaunchBox and I am trying to determine whether it is right for me.  I had a couple questions about features and how to do things.

1. Is it possible to rearrange the information on the details page?  I prefer to have series near the title and don't care as much about the publisher.

2. In a series, can I indicate what number in the series a game is?  I have a number of games that do not indicate where they lay in the title, even though the series follows a chronological order.  It's nice to know that a game is in a series.  However, without knowing whether the game is 1st or 5th in the series, I have no idea which game to play.

I tried looking at the custom fields feature, but without buying the premium I can't see if it will work for me.

3. Is there a way to set up filters by alphabet?

For example, if I want to play Portal, I select the windows platform, sort by title, and scroll through all my games to find it.  This is time consuming as I have a bunch of games.  Being able to select a platform and then filter for only the games starting with P would make it easier.  The same problem occurs with other filters, like genre.  I have a lot of adventure games and trying to find one game is annoying.

4. If I used big box, would I be able to see the details and posibily videos when looking at the game?

5. Is LaunchBox and emumovie premium worth it if I am only using LaunchBox for windows games from different stores?

Thanks for your time and answering all my questions.

Jade Aislin

@Chris Kant answered all these questions pretty well i think. If you have any more dont hesitate to ask.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Chris Kant said:

01. do you mean details page in Launchbox or in Big Box? in Launchbox Detail Screen (the Sidebar) you can configure which of the given fields should be shown and which one not. there are also Fields for Series. in BigBox it depends on the Theme you would use.

02. I assume not. But you can use a sort field, so you can beside the name of the game use a sort Titel like the Game Resident Evil: Code Veronica will sort in my playlist as Resident Evil 2000, to fit the chronology

03. you can jump directly to a specific letter by pressing that letter on you keyboard. in BB you have a slider to jump directly to the wished letter

1. I meant either LaunchBox or Big Box.  I'm not sure which I would want to use. While it is nice that I could determine which details I want shown with premium, I would still like to make sure the details I include are listed the way I want.  I was thinking I could make a custom field to desiginate a game's number in a series, but I would then want that field near the series field. Am I right that you cannot choose where each field shows up in the details screen? Also, can you have as many custom fields as you want?

On BigBox themes: Are they easy to find and implement? Or is it easy to make your own theme?

2. I thought about using the sort field, but realized it would only work if I always knew what series I was looking for. If I only know the name of the game and don't remember that it was part of a series, I may not find it when I look for it (Unless I drag my keyboard over for a search.)

3. The slider in BB sounds useful.  I typically have my keyboard on my desk and dislike using it.  I prefer my controller or trackball.

I tried jumping to a specific letter with LaunchBox, but nothing happened. Is there a specific way to use this feature? Or do I need premium to make it work?

From what you have said, BigBox is sounding more and more appealing.  I'm just wary of buying another game organizer, as the last one I bought a subscrition for decided to delete their forum where I could ask questions aobut modifying the ways the details were displayed.

Thanks for your prompt answers,
Jade Aislin

1a Yes you are correct in that  you can not sort which order information shows up in the details.
1b Not sure on number of custom themes
1c BB themes are easy to find in the download section of this forum (and coming soon directly from within the interface) and easy to switch between them but no they are not easy to make they require either some knowledge of coding or at least the ability to reverse engineer someone else's code and make changes to it
Letter jumping should be as easy as clicking on the game field in LB or clicking on a game and then pressing the letter you want and I don't believe that it is a premium feature but I've been on premium for so long sometime I blur those lines of what is free and what it premium.
As for the forums they are here to stay they aren't going anywhere there are many helpful users here that are part of our great community with a crazy amount of knowledge on all types of different stuff that pertain to the hobby.