LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to bulk import wither my Sega Genesis or Sega Master System roms

ArcticFire03

So I am on a massive import spree - Finally getting time - and an now unable to do a "Import by folder". I know I am selecting everything properly as this is the same process that I have preformed on all the other system currently in the screen shot. 

From Dashboard: Tools -> Import -> Rom Files

In Rom Files window: Next -> All Folder -> ~/Launchbox/Games/(INSERT GAME FOLDER) -> OK -> Next -> Select correct platform from drop down -> Next -> Select Emulator -> Next  -> User the files in their current location(*NOTE1) -> Next -> Next ->  Next -> Next -> screen below shows

*NOTE1 - I have tried all 3 option at the screen.

When I get to the screen "Ready to Import" is is blank

image.thumb.png.3785d2a1614fff16204117bab8d138a1.png

As you can see the folder is there and spelled correctly.

image.thumb.png.eafe92901aae61a4cb48745bef188974.png

Any one got any Ideas please let me know.

Edited by ArcticFire03

I strangely had a similar problem with my NeoGeo games - while the scraper only seemed to detect 1 game (Pulstar) when selecting Neo Geo AES or MVS, I needed to go with Neo Geo CD to correctly detect and scrape the titles. Although, obviously, they are also available for the aforementioned platforms.

10 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Did you try restarting LB and maybe your PC as well ?

Also instead of using the import took try just going to your roms folder and grabbing a bunch of roms (like 20 or so) and drag them into LB to start the import wizard.

@Lordmonkus: Tried that and and still nothing.

7 hours ago, Jaz808 said:

Are there any rom's in the folder, as in do you have the right folder, another thing, are they the right format ?

@Jaz808:I hate to say it this way, but YES!, that is the first thing that I checked. I am a software engineer by profession. I made sure to check most this simple issues before making a post.

It seems to be an issue with the way I was organizing things . I had then in a folder and each game was in it one sub folder(Like you would for CD games with multiple disks). Once I removed them from the folder I was able to bulk import Genesis, but it seems like i have to add then twice to get then to show. Trying the second import now will follow up.

You can go to a folder and search that folder and its sub folders for rom files and import them easily, just type in *.cue or *.bin or whatever the file extension of the file type you are looking for. You can then use Control + A to select all and drag them into Launchbox, you can also do this using the Tools > Import > Rom Files method as well, I just find the drag and drop method easiest.

I sort my CD based systems like this, with each game in its own sub folder.

2141488449_2018-08-1812_32_41-SegaCD.thumb.png.6befa03afacf03b62e902344a15f0946.png887335681_2018-08-1812_32_57-_.cue-SearchResultsinSegaCD.thumb.png.4151b6de76a11a56a71a202680cd0ff4.png1577727797_2018-08-1812_34_39-_.cue-SearchResultsinSegaCD.thumb.png.cd14a1abc658ef607e58b586c6546398.png

10 hours ago, Turnspit said:

I strangely had a similar problem with my NeoGeo games - while the scraper only seemed to detect 1 game (Pulstar) when selecting Neo Geo AES or MVS, I needed to go with Neo Geo CD to correctly detect and scrape the titles. Although, obviously, they are also available for the aforementioned platforms.

I recently did an import of NeoGeo games and they all scraped perfectly fine except for some of the hacks, I didn't have to select NeoGeo CD to do it either.

by chance have you already added an Arcade platform with MAME if so LB may be seeing the roms as already imported under arcade and you will need to force duplication to import them again. In that scenario though I think the last page of the import will show all the game names but then the final import will only add any games not already added so if you are only seeing one game in the list before you finalize the import that probably isn't your issue. 

35 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

You can go to a folder and search that folder and its sub folders for rom files and import them easily, just type in *.cue or *.bin or whatever the file extension of the file type you are looking for. You can then use Control + A to select all and drag them into Launchbox, you can also do this using the Tools > Import > Rom Files method as well, I just find the drag and drop method easiest.

I sort my CD based systems like this, with each game in its own sub folder.

@Lordmonkus: Ya I tried that too, in the end I don't have an issue with having cart based games organised differently. When it comes down to it I think I really need to re-organize my cart Nintendo and Sega stuff better. I am starting from "scratch" with organization after losing my old hard drive. Having complete no-intros for cart systems is amazing, but at the same time sucks trying to organize. 

18 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

by chance have you already added an Arcade platform with MAME if so LB may be seeing the roms as already imported under arcade and you will need to force duplication to import them again. In that scenario though I think the last page of the import will show all the game names but then the final import will only add any games not already added so if you are only seeing one game in the list before you finalize the import that probably isn't your issue. 

@DOS76: MAME is the last thing I was going to import as I know that it "can" cause import problems. I also don't have the the harddrive with those on my person at this time. A friends is setting up a cabinet and is barrowing my HDD because he is no longer able to DL them himself.

Everything seems to be working now. I made sure to double check that there was no hidden system under manage platforms, and Double checked the .XML files for systems that I am having difficulties with. I will re-up is any more issues arise.

Thanks All,

-Arctic

• 1 year later...

I just thought I'd post a comment here.  I had this exact same problem, turned out the import wizard showed up blank because the filename/folder was too long for some of my games in the folder hierarchy,and it seems to abort the preview data in the import process without generating an error in LaunchBox.   I only discovered this because while using my renaming application (I was trying to switch the extension which I didn't think really mattered anyway as stated previously), and it mentioned that some of the filenames could not be found and that the names might have been too long.  I shortened the names of the offending files and voila, the import worked.   Not sure if this was the problem experienced here but worth checking just in case.

Edited by rodww