LaunchBox Community Forums

Getting 3DNES to Launch individual games

RULLUR

So as we are clear on that 3DNES is able to run through LaunchBox as any Emulator can. Thing is now to get those games to run individually with the proper Command Line.

My problem is that I've tried to figure out various ways in doing so and seems I mostly get lead to a grey screen and no game loaded up. The 3DNES is set to the Nintendo NES Platform through LaunchBox properly, but I have my ROMs Imported from a FCEUX Directory which I'm unsure could be why a grey screen happens. I have been in a discussion from a previous thread in which I feel is best to bring the topic in this section instead. The previous talks have started in this link if you want to see how much progress has been spoken of:

I've done all that..but I wonder if the grey screen is due to having tons of ROMs or the directory isn't found properly with mine. I know when you have almost no ROMs in a directory with it is when the menu within itself and everything goes smoothly. I wonder now if maybe I make the directory within 3DNES blank and then try Launch via LaunchBox will it go faster. I did see grey on your's for a moment which I guess could be loading up before the game finally shows up

Sounds like I'm gonna have to try move everything there instead. I wonder if the Bulk Editor will let me redirect everything to that Directory so I don't have Re-Import everything all over again. I also hope this won't conflict with my FCEUX settings though.

I almost was tempted to kinda rename my whole directory as to how you have your's set too Ha!Ha!Ha!

With my LaunchBox setup I try to work together with the system, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, so i keep the emulators inside the emulators folder, all games within their respective systems folder within the Games folder, and so on. Having everything self-contained within the LaunchBox folder also helps if you ever want to make it portable :)

• Like 1

That's kinda my problem is I have everything still in a manner that was Pre-LaunchBox for me and sometimes worry it'll mess with my Saves and other Data if I move too much around. Like I'm even trying to find a way I can make my Saves transferable for everything back and forth between my Laptop and GPD Win so I can take my progress on the go with my GPD Win and then come Home to that same progress on my Laptop. Not only that..but I also wanna try obtain and make as much cover art for everything I can which for me is such a mess to deal with since I'm always so busy and want to complete my whole LaunchBox experience to maybe later working my BigBox stuff too and making it something nice to show off to others who come over and play with my Fiancee and I via our projector

Edited by RULLUR

Sure, it takes an initial effort to get done. If you focus on one system at a time, and just keep checking that everything works while you're setting up, it shouldn't be too overwhelming. Also, do more copying than cutting of files initially, so you don't break anything by accident. That way, you can always go back to the working copy. Regarding save games, I have all mine pointed to a cloud drive (google drive), which syncs with my phone.

You can copy your whole launchbox to another directory entirely, and have seperate installs for LaunchBox, which is very nice if you want to experiment or learn how things work without the risk of messing up your main installation :)

I was thinking the cloud option as well when it comes to saves, but sometimes the Wi-Fi in places don't seem all that. I was thinking more like a MicroSD maybe, but still unsure.

I'm Re-Importing my NES games at the moment when it seems instead I could've went to "Import" and then take the option Move everything to LaunchBox's NES directory. Hopefully once this is all there that things will load up right and not leave me hanging on a grey screen. I also went in 3DNES and kinda made sure it wasn't in the directory with tons of ROMs in it to where the Menu within itself seems faster now

• Like 1

Seems even after moving all the ROMs to the LaunchBox NES Folder Directory and setting things as you did I'm still stuck at a grey screen. I wonder if it has to do with not only having a ton of ROMs..but also I run on an i3-6100U Processor and 8GB system memory. Are you running on something higher than that? I'm trying to figure out if now it's a Hardware thing or just too much to load up.

So I noticed you were using v1.4.0 which is like the last one they made before focusing more on VR. Seems the newer one acts up for some reason..so I downgraded it back to v1.4.0 and it totally works with no problems. v2.1 can handle more games like Code Name: Viper and all..but v2.1 can't Launch anything and takes you to a grey screen that you think might take a while to load..but does nothing. I even loaded up a game to Launch via v2.1 and went to take care of some errands for like an hour and came back to see it was still a grey screen.

Not sure why v2.1 had problems with Launching..yet v1.4.0 is fine though. I'd love to find out why the updated version does that and how it can be fixed so more games can be played and Launch properly from it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much RULLUR! Reverting to v1.4.0 fixed the problem for me. Strangely, 1.3 does not work either, though the creator has said he implemented command line parameters in 1.1. If anyone else is stuck on this, use v1.4.0 (I've attached it here), and set the following in Launchbox:

Default Command-line Parameters: --r=

Don't use quotes: [unchecked]

No space before ROM: [checked]

File name only: [unchecked]

3DNes_Win_V1.4.0.zip

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LiKWiDCAKE said:

Thanks very much RULLUR! Reverting to v1.4.0 fixed the problem for me. Strangely, 1.3 does not work either, though the creator has said he implemented command line parameters in 1.1. If anyone else is stuck on this, use v1.4.0 (I've attached it here), and set the following in Launchbox:

Default Command-line Parameters: --r=

Don't use quotes: [unchecked]

No space before ROM: [checked]

File name only: [unchecked]

3DNes_Win_V1.4.0.zip

You're welcome, but I feel credit is due more to @proghodet instead since he found which command lines and all work. Without him I'd likely still be getting it ran in a grey screen and nothing else. It's just a shame the newer more stable versions after v1.4.0 fail to Launch. There is still much needed to be done with 3DNES as a whole to even better 3dn files properly set in their repository and everything else in both the PC and VR parts of it.

Seems the creator was interested in a 3DSNES a few years back in which I hope turns out very well and maybe could be in the works as well.